Your summer reading list and suggestions

There’s another thread that quickly turned into people just recommending books, so I figured I’d start a proper one. What are you reading this right now, and want to get through this summer? What do you suggest others read? Me, right now: -Let the great world spin (Collum McCann) / fictionalized recounting of the guy who wirewalked between the WTC towers in '74. Really good so far, NYC was crazy then. What I plan to read in the next few weeks: -Margin of Safety (Klarman) / I’ve had this on my hard drive for a while in PDF format. Between “Why are you not studying?!?!” guilt and “Why didn’t you just save up and buy a copy?!!?” guilt, I haven’t started the book yet, but at this point I’ll dive in. -Snowball (Schroeder) / based on another AFers recommendation as well as the Amazon preview. -Fiasco (Partnoy)

I long for the days where I can sit down for 2 hours and read and not feel guilty. Summer: -Economist religiously -Panic of 1907 -Superfreakonomics -The ascent of money -The Soros book that was reccomended to me. -Perhaps re-read TOo Big to Fail

ASSet_MANagement Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > -Panic of 1907 Robert Bruner was at one of our CFA luncheons this year. I can bring my copy down and we can read it together on the beach ;).

daviskr Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > ASSet_MANagement Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > -Panic of 1907 > > Robert Bruner was at one of our CFA luncheons this > year. I can bring my copy down and we can read it > together on the beach ;). I might be distracted, just sayin.

Just bought, “The Quants”, anyone read it?

Fun annotated list here: http://ftalphaville.ft.com/blog/2010/07/15/287986/summer-reading-from-socgens-dylan-grice/

I was pissed The Big Short didn’t discuss Paulson’s trades so when I finished it I read The Greatest Trade Ever. Good stuff. Also reading Radicals for Capitalism and just finished both Eclipse and Harry Potter - The Deathly Hallows. Both for the second time. That’s right.

curves

analyst forum AFOT old threads (re-read)

comp_sci_kid Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > analyst forum AFOT old threads (re-read) yeah, i h8 it when the pages are all stuck together, too… haven’t read Big Short yet, but i’ve read excerpts and it seems like its will go fast have these on the pile: Confidence Game Black Swan The Rest is Noise 2666

• Re-work - Superfreakonomics - The Black Swan and Fooled by Randomness (Yep, I haven’t read em yet, shame on me) - The sequel of Shantaram. Shantaram is the best book I’ve ever read. If you’re looking for some good fiction to read in your beach chair, get Shantaram. It’s a story about a convict from Aussie who escapes from prison and flees to India. There, he lives in a slum in Bombay and runs a free clinic before getting involved in the mafia, going to jail in India and joining the war in Afghanistan against the Russian. The book plays in the early 80’s and is fantastic. It’s a true story, too. The sequel will be released in early September. - some books about quantum physics.