How do I date someone at my company?

Ok, so I used to think that dating someone from work wasn’t cool, but I’ve since changed my mind. I work at a company that occupies 2 floors of my building. I rarely ever see her. There may be months at a time where I don’t see her. I know she’s interested and I know she knows I’m interested in her. We were recently placed in the same group for some office social activity thing. There was some flirtation but I tried my best to hide it because of all the other people around. I also think it would be weird to ask for a lunch. I guess I’ll just have to move on huh?

If you rarely see her anyway, and you’re not in a position of authority over her, then ask her out. Why not? You could go the safe route and ask her to a happy hour where other coworkers will be present. Make it a little more casual. Or, just ask her to dinner.

I don’t see the problem in asking her out. If you rarely see her at work than what is the problem?

If there;s no functional, aaahhh…, overlap, then go for it. Just have her sign a non-disclosure agreement.

Is it cool to date admins? What about junior people in a totally different group from you that still work near you?

Bad idea. You might rarely see her at work now, but she’ll find reasons to be in your area much more often if you start dating. She probably knows some folks in you area too, so she’ll know a lot about your activities. Assuming you eventually breakup, be prepared for all your dirty laundry to become company knowledge.

WWDDD? (that’s Don Draper)

mar350 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > WWDDD? > > (that’s Don Draper) Don wouldn’t date. He’d just bang her and make things awkward until she quits.

Usually a bad idea as higgmond stated. However, if you live in a city that doesn’t exactly have the best environment to meet people then I might give it a second thought.

Afternoon delight bro. I don’t know about dating her, but you should and definitely could have some fun.

It’s a good rule to not date someone in the office, but rules are meant to be broken. Just tread carefully and don’t mention it to ANYONE.

There are people who work on my floor who got married. If you don’t work directly with her, sure. Just make sure she’s emotionally stable and won’t slander you if you break up.

topher Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Ok, so I used to think that dating someone from > work wasn’t cool, but I’ve since changed my mind. > I work at a company that occupies 2 floors of my > building. I rarely ever see her… It still becomes quite uncomfortable when you dump her for a newer model. Also like Ohai said, if she takes it bad when you eventually dump her, she will, then you have to deal with all the chicks giving you the evil eye.

I’ve seen people in the same office do it INCREDIBLY WELL. I’m talking about a location with only 20 employees, and two of them dated very quietly, having met at work, for about 18 months before anyone knew. You don’t HAVE to do it that way, but I can tell you that they both preferred it that way and I definitely understand why they did it that way after they explained their reasoning to me. Their relationship was totally outside the office; they just happened to meet through work. I think if you want to date, effin’ go for it. Life is too short to deny yourself a good relationship because you share the same patch of real estate from 9-5. Just be mindful of how it’ll appear to colleagues if you go public with it. If it was me, I would personally keep it quiet - in and out of the office (at outings, social events w/office, etc), because it just makes it far easier. I don’t want my G-D boss asking me if I plan on proposing to my girlfriend when I haven’t figured it out yet, just because he feels entitled since he works with the both of us. My former boss did that and I shivved him with a piece of a filing tray. Alright, not really (it was a letter opener), but you get my drift. Colleagues not in the relationship will be obnoxious if you are public about dating. By the way, the colleagues I mentioned have now been dating for 24+ months and are getting married this fall. So strong, serious relationships can come out of the office - but I would keep it quiet if I were you, at least while it develops.

The next time you see her just say something like, “I haven’t seen you for a while, let’s catch-up” play it safe and go for a lunch date or get her number and hangout with her after work. One thing about dating a coworker is that I don’t think I would want to see each other 24/7. If your like a Jim and Pam from the Office everybody is going to know and if you guys ever break up its going to be really arkward and people are going to question your professionalism.

I say go for it. I met a gf of 3 years + at my past job. We hid it for a while but most people caught on…no biggie but it depends on the work environment. It was actually kind of fun and if you are too tired to get together after work, lunch dates count! Wish my job wasn’t all old guys and married women now…sigh…

I met my wife at work…dated for 3 years without anyone knowing. Definitely keep it under the radar and make sure you have something in common other than your jobs. I wouldn’t socialize much at work happy hours or events, keep everything totally separate. Also be prepared for change - we started in different departments and at one point were sitting next to each other, but still kept it under wraps. When we eventually got “caught” everyone thought they were so smart (vacation days started to overlap)…but not so much when they found out how long it had been going on. Like someone else said, life is too short not to try. Handle yourselves in a professional manner at work and be prepared to live the life of a deep cover agent, but go for it.

I think every employer that has something against fraternization should read this thread. It makes it clear you can’t prevent this stuff, you can only deal with it.

samnyc Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I think every employer that has something against > fraternization should read this thread. It makes > it clear you can’t prevent this stuff, you can > only deal with it. So employee fraternization is the Michael Jordan of corporate America, got it. …and does that make triple teams a good thing or a bad thing?

LPoulin133 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > > …and does that make triple teams a good thing or > a bad thing? that sounds like teamwork. so good thing i suppose