Liberal Arts Degree- a piece of crap in the business world?

35 posts / 0 new
Last post
Ako's picture

what is the value in it? if i ever have kids and they tell me they want one i will slap them. what are your thoughts? would you hire one?

CFABLACKBELT's picture

LA degrees are worthless. But then again, business degrees don’t have much value either IMO.

supersadface.migrated's picture

When to get a liberal arts degree:
-When you very much want to be a career academic
-When your career will be in liberal arts (i.e. you plan on being a professional guitarist —-> you go to Juilliard for classical guitar, or you plan on being a journalist —-> you major in journalism at your school)

When not to get a liberal arts degree:
-You kinda sorta have an interest in what you are majoring in, but not enough to put you in the top 10% of practitioners. i.e. You like journalism, but not enough to put you in the upper echelon of people taking journalism classes. You major in journalism anyhow.
-You pick something vague because you don’t want to commit. English majors are frequent abusers of this rule of mine :(((
-You pick something that REALLY interests you but you are probably really unlikely to be able to make a living from it. Philosophy majors are undoubtedly really smart folks, but they also don’t seem to be very employable in the first few years after school (judging from my personal observances). In this case, I wonder if you’d be better off just pursuing it as a “I am very interested in this” kind of hobby.

If you fall into the “when not to get a liberal arts degree”, I’d honestly suggest that you either:
-Figure out a liberal arts category where you are going to suddenly be in the “when to get a liberal arts degree” ranks
-Seriously consider a business degree or taking a look at some of the hard science/math/whatever classes (purely because they are far more employable, it seems)
-Consider taking a gap year or two to work and try and figure out what you ARE passionate/good at. Nothing wrong with this at all, though it seems less common in the U.S. than in Europe.

My two cents.

buttonwoodrecruits's picture

“What Do You Do With a BA in English”–Avenue Q

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CK6ksA0QyE4

ohai's picture

I’m not sure that I understand this question. If your goal is to have a career in finance, then obviously majoring in some unrelated field will hurt your chances. However, if you want to do something related to liberal arts, like being a sociologist, then that’s what you should do.

“Be aware of this 40 year old men in our country.They suffer from mid life crisis and are always trying to be in the good books of young girls.” -Rahul Roy

former trader's picture

CFABLACKBELT Wrote:
——————————————————-
> But then again,
> business degrees don’t have much value either IMO.

+1

Telling it like it is on AF since 2007.

JOE2010's picture

Ako Wrote:
——————————————————-
> what is the value in it? if i ever have kids and
> they tell me they want one i will slap them. what
> are your thoughts? would you hire one?

Sorry, but you reason like some one who does not even have a degree - I would actually recommend a Liberal Arts degree to you.

Valores's picture

Wiki:
“The term liberal arts denotes a curriculum that imparts general knowledge and develops the student’s rational thought and intellectual capabilities, unlike the professional, vocational and technical curricula emphasizing specialization. The contemporary liberal arts comprise studying literature, languages, philosophy, history, mathematics, and science.”

I think liberal arts degree is preferable for undergrad, as a more complete education. One can specialize in postgrad courses

JOE2010's picture

^ Exactly. Sublimity went to a Liberal Arts college and he is doing pretty well.

Ako's picture

JOE2010 Wrote:
——————————————————-
> Ako Wrote:
> ————————————————–
> —–
> > what is the value in it? if i ever have kids
> and
> > they tell me they want one i will slap them.
> what
> > are your thoughts? would you hire one?
>
>
> Sorry, but you reason like some one who does not
> even have a degree - I would actually recommend a
> Liberal Arts degree to you.

so i take it you are proud of your english degree? sorry i did not read as many good books as you and not as worldly as you…

JOE2010's picture

Ako Wrote:
——————————————————-
> JOE2010 Wrote:
> ————————————————–
> —–
> > Ako Wrote:
> >
> ————————————————–
>
> > —–
> > > what is the value in it? if i ever have kids
> > and
> > > they tell me they want one i will slap them.
> > what
> > > are your thoughts? would you hire one?
> >
> >
> > Sorry, but you reason like some one who does
> not
> > even have a degree - I would actually recommend
> a
> > Liberal Arts degree to you.
>
>
> so i take it you are proud of your english degree?
> sorry i did not read as many good books as you and
> not as worldly as you…

Yes I am, dump sh$t.

jcole21's picture

JOE2010 Wrote:
——————————————————-
> ^ Exactly. Sublimity went to a Liberal Arts
> college and he is doing pretty well.

His mom…

No quote needed

ASSet_MANagement's picture

I have an LA degree… Then again I’m not exactly killing it $-wise.

> Pretty > Top 5 MBA > CFA > Avg MBA > Born middle
> class > Born lower

brain_wash_your_face's picture

I have two undergrad degrees, one of which is liberal arts. Don’t worry, I don’t let it “effect” my “steller” work performance.

As a nation of free men we will live forever or die by suicide.

Ocean Mist's picture

Sometimes you have no choice when you go to a liberal arts college. I agree with supersadface. If you’re top 10% and can get that Ph.D., it’s worth it. If not, good luck finding a job.

I was passed up for finance jobs by students that went to state schools when I initially applied… then again, this could have been an exception because the interviewer was from a state school. I’ve also been at jobs that would never consider anyone below top 20.

Last time I checked, econ = liberal arts degree -> gets you jobs.

^^Also true for many of the best universities. Try going to Harvard, Princeton or Yale for an UG in “business”, good luck.

Ako's picture

brain_wash_your_face Wrote:
——————————————————-
> I have two undergrad degrees, one of which is
> liberal arts. Don’t worry, I don’t let it
> “effect” my “steller” work performance.

You not telling truth. 2 liberal arts degrees you have and both in english. you read good ya!!!

Mobius Strip's picture

this is a retarded discussion. i went to a tiny liberal arts school and majored in mathematics and physics. what’s with the “english/sociology major” talk? some of you have no concept of what liberal arts education stands for - it’s not discussions of Plato’s allegories and the ancient greek polytical system you dummies. haha get a business degree to get quanatitative and employable - that’s the joke of the day

sublimity's picture

I like conservative arts, JOE2010.

Anyways, I don’t think a degree in any subject, or even a lack of degree, really means much if someone is reasonably intelligent, works hard, and has some luck.

JOE2010's picture

sublimity Wrote:
——————————————————-
> I like conservative arts, JOE2010.
>
> Anyways, I don’t think a degree in any subject, or
> even a lack of degree, really means much if
> someone is reasonably intelligent, works hard, and
> has some luck.

Agreed, that is why the OP is dump and this is another retarded discussion.

Bernanke's picture

liberal arts education = partying and lot of sex for four years… That’s my view.

So I like liberal arts degree and I wish if life could have been longer I would have obtained one.

Although, to excel in career, I don’t believe that degree’s matter if you have the hunger. Degrees are a hedge, an EECS degree from top uni will land you a safe and high paying job, but it’s neither enjoyable nor it increases your business acumen. It just proves that you are a hard working b!tch and you won’t break down if you’ll get loaded with ton of sh!t.

<-------------------------------------------------

SOS T.T ~ I told is reality;not a funny !!
- QqqBee (on August 27, 2010)

JOE2010 Wrote:
——————————————————-
> Agreed, that is why the OP is dump and this is
> another retarded discussion.

Believe it or not, I actually think Ako started this discussion because I corrected his grammar like a week ago. Kind of sad, really.

Ako's picture

^ man im just having a good time. calm down. like the guy said before you can have a liberal arts degree in math or physics and that is way more grueling than really any type of business degree.

Mobius Strip's picture

CALM DOWN?

you post this and you expect ME to CALM DOWN?

are you f…..ing kiddin me BRO
this is so so so so so so so

………………………………_~->f…..k!!!

Inner Evil Voice's picture

I always wonder why AF attracts some of the biggest haters around like the OP.

Bernanke's picture

Inner Evil Voice Wrote:
——————————————————-
> I always wonder why AF attracts some of the
> biggest haters around like the OP.

Enjoy the beauty of diversity on AF, it’s definitely fun :-)!

<-------------------------------------------------

SOS T.T ~ I told is reality;not a funny !!
- QqqBee (on August 27, 2010)

artvandalay's picture

It’s not what you know, but who you know.

End discussion.

It’s not what you do, but how it’s done. - Nas

ohai's picture

It could be either, right? If you’re a genius and graduate from MIT with a 4.0 and multiple graduate degrees, you don’t need friends in high places to be recruited for the best jobs. Or your dad could be a senator.

“Be aware of this 40 year old men in our country.They suffer from mid life crisis and are always trying to be in the good books of young girls.” -Rahul Roy

A 4.0 at MIT is actually a B…5.0 is an A.

marcus phoenix's picture

artvandalay Wrote:
——————————————————-
> It’s not what you know, but who you know.
>
>
> _______________________________________
>
> End discussion.

Wrong. Depends on the industry.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"USA troop is a public goods for American and World" ---Lord qqqbee, Sep 1, 2010

Pages

Subscribe toComments for "Liberal Arts Degree- a piece of crap in the business wor...