Sign up  |  Log in

The decision

BiPolarBoyBoston Wrote:
——————————————————-
> iteracom Wrote:
> ————————————————–
> —–
> > Part time NYU is ridiculously easy
> (intentionally)
> > I know part timers there now.. they don’t know
> > jack about finance, and you can walk into the
> > exams, bomb them and finish the course with a
> B.
> >
> > One co-worker (VP at Morgan Stanley + NYU MBA
> part
> > timer) didn’t know what key rate duration was.
> > very sad.
> >
> > BUT as soon as you change to full time
> (undergrad
> > or grad) It becomes a whole new ball game, and
> you
> > got to work your butt off.
> >
> > odd. but that’s how it works
>
> is it possible for people to change from PT to FT
> in the program?

99% no

part time MBA works best if you are in a job where you just want to stay in the same company and climb up the ladder. And the only thing stopping you from climbing is a graduate degree. In this case, then yes, go for the part time MBA.

If your goal is to get out, change careers, change from back office to front office, a part-time MBA will not help you much.

It’s not a secret. A part time student cannot compete with a full timer in terms of time/effort/learning commitments. Firms know this, which is why full timers get ALL top picks when on-campus recruiting comes along. Part timers get the leftovers or none at all.

Hope. It is the quintessential human delusion, simultaneously the source of your greatest strength, and greatest weakness.

Plus, many PT programs require that your company submits written permission for you to participate in on-campus recruiting.

“Making profit is important, but it is not more important than being tolerant and understanding towards others.” -klara

also forgot, if your company is helping pay for your PT MBA, you will almost definitely be required to sign some kind of document saying you can’t leave for a few years or you will have to repay the company what they paid for your tuition.

Hope. It is the quintessential human delusion, simultaneously the source of your greatest strength, and greatest weakness.

Ok lets take a final vote. Just post your vote and i will announce my decision live on analyst forum sometimes next week.

Stay tuned

This announcement will be bigger than LeBron’s. I say you donate the proceeds to charity.

Telling it like it is on AF since 2007.

No, not if you have to foot the bill yourself. No material change on your career, cost 150k, and 3yrs of an extra 10-15hrs of work a week.

Why not a MFin? Its only 1yr, half the price, and a nice career move.

Congrats. GO, it’s a no brainier!

MBA in IT industry is king, people do MBA to leave this industry, you are doing to stay in it, you’ll definitely be a prized possession for IT teams in finance, given your technological skills and domain knowledge, this MBA would be KO!

<-------------------------------------------------

SOS T.T ~ I told is reality;not a funny !!
- QqqBee (on August 27, 2010)

former trader Wrote:
——————————————————-
> This announcement will be bigger than LeBron’s.
> I say you donate the proceeds to charity.

+5

do it, obviosuly you applied for a reason. i wish i had a quality pt program like that to go to.

ps - since obama views me as ‘charity,’ i demand half.

I call BS, you actually have a friend attending Rotman’s who you’ve already convinced to join you and your other buddy at U of M.

NYU fans will be burning your VBA code in the streets when you leave and you’ll also get a spiteful letter from the Dean.

Bottom line though, you have a good chance of winning the NCAA championship if you can beat those guys from UCLA.

comp_sci_kid Wrote:
——————————————————-
> Ok lets take a final vote. Just post your vote and
> i will announce my decision live on analyst forum
> sometimes next week.
>
> Stay tuned

Go. Regarding the comment that NYU part-time is easy, all MBA programs are as easy or challenging as you want them to be.

It’s a rough day when you realize your sarcasm and dry humor is so advanced, people just think you’re an a-hole.

It sounds like CSK is not going. Too much indecision.

Personally I think Stern blew its chance to positioning itself as a top-tier business school with that part time program, but it’s not a bad option if you have a nice job/company/career track now and don’t want to move.

Inner Evil Voice Wrote:
——————————————————-
> Personally I think Stern blew its chance to
> positioning itself as a top-tier business school
> with that part time program, but it’s not a bad
> option if you have a nice job/company/career track
> now and don’t want to move.

Stern is top-tier in finance only, and that’s a stretch.

Nonetheless for a lot of people it can help with pedigree.

Go to U of P instead. Better value for money.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"USA troop is a public goods for American and World" ---Lord qqqbee, Sep 1, 2010

justin88 Wrote:
——————————————————-
> Inner Evil Voice Wrote:
> ————————————————–
> —–
> > Personally I think Stern blew its chance to
> > positioning itself as a top-tier business
> school
> > with that part time program, but it’s not a bad
> > option if you have a nice job/company/career
> track
> > now and don’t want to move.
>
> Stern is top-tier in finance only, and that’s a
> stretch.
>
> Nonetheless for a lot of people it can help with
> pedigree.

It is the only part-time MBA in NYC that is decent. If Columbia would offer part-time i would apply there too

Will Jim Grey be interviewing you?

Deadline is approaching… what should i do?

dude, you’re relying on a bunch of anonymous posters to make an important decision for you? You applied for a reason, what was it? Do you still feel the same way you do when you decided to apply?

When you thought of applying, there were some benefits you had in mind that you thought would help you with your career. Have those benefits/opportunities significantly changed over the last few months? If not, then why are you still thinking about it?

mp2438 Wrote:
——————————————————-
> dude, you’re relying on a bunch of anonymous
> posters to make an important decision for you? You
> applied for a reason, what was it? Do you still
> feel the same way you do when you decided to
> apply?
>
> When you thought of applying, there were some
> benefits you had in mind that you thought would
> help you with your career. Have those
> benefits/opportunities significantly changed over
> the last few months? If not, then why are you
> still thinking about it?

Because it is an option, and you never exercise an option early

comp_sci_kid Wrote:
——————————————————-
> Because it is an option, and you never exercise an
> option early

Not true.

No quote needed

All I’m saying is its your time and money (or maybe fully subsidized) that will be invested, so even if you get 20 anonymous responses, we still will not make the decision for you. Explore the curriculum, the networking abilities, and even some extracurriculars (if possible) and see whether this is something you would like to do for the next 3 years. Think about whether work will suffer because of it, or if doing this program will have you consider other fields. If so, then I’d say think some more about it as you may really want a full-time program.

But, if you’re set on IT mgmt and believe MBA is a rarity in this field and will help you career, why are you still thinking?

comp_sci_kid Wrote:
——————————————————-
> It is the only part-time MBA in NYC that is
> decent. If Columbia would offer part-time i would
> apply there too

Columbia does have an “accelerated” program with the summer replacing a fall semester. So you would start Jan 2011 and be done May 2012. It is FT, though.

I’d say go for it. I think an MBA can be very helpful in IT mgmt.

jcole21 Wrote:
——————————————————-
> comp_sci_kid Wrote:
> ————————————————–
> —–
> > Because it is an option, and you never exercise
> an
> > option early
>
>
> Not true.

Your not true is true.

___________________________________________________
ChickenTikka Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Being Born Wealthy > Being Jewish or WASPY > Born
> Pretty > Top 5 MBA > CFA > Avg MBA > Born middle
> class > Born lower

ASSet_MANagement Wrote:
——————————————————-
> jcole21 Wrote:
> ————————————————–
> —–
> > comp_sci_kid Wrote:
> >
> ————————————————–
>
> > —–
> > > Because it is an option, and you never
> exercise
> > an
> > > option early
> >
> >
> > Not true.
>
>
> Your not true is true.

Trrrruuuuueeeeeeeeeee.

No quote needed

How much does it cost? I’d say go, considering it myself. If you are already making a decent amount over $100k and have a path continually increasing that comp doing a full time MBA starts to make a lot less sense. Part-time all the way.

As a nation of free men we will live forever or die by suicide.

Thanks everyone for the input.

I’ve decided to go and submitted my deposit and now waiting on Kroll verification which make me nervous as i might have made +/- 2k when reporting my last year bonus - I am not sure about the exact amount as i tried to dig up my bonus figures from taxes/payroll and didn’t find any reliable information as to the exact pretax #.

Unfortunately my bonus was announced to me verbally and i don’t have any papers except increase in my paycheck for that one period.

Hopefully that won’t be a show stopper

comp_sci_kid Wrote:
——————————————————-
> I’ve decided to go
 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congrats!

let me know when you’re hiring

congrats. I wouldn’t worry about the Kroll.

Congrats! I have a friend in the PT NYU MBA program right now…but, classes already started…how can you start so late CSK?

^ its for the spring program that begins in Feb. I believe.