"Running Money"

I’m sure you’ve all heard it or one of its derivations. It’s a pet peeve of mine (maybe because I don’t run any, who knows) and in light of the many questions posed today in the back office I wanted to see if people were for it or against it.

I don’t mind that so much, as long as the money is not “running” through ones fingers. My pet peeve is when people talk about “playing the market” or “how to play this.” I do understand that they mean “play” as in how one would implement a sports play or play a set of cards, but I just bristle at the idea that money (esp. other people’s money) is something that you play with. In my view, money demands respect, and that means that you don’t play with it. You allocate it, you invest it, you make soberly constructed bets with a positive expected return and appropriate risk controls, but you don’t “play” with it.

You didn’t pull the phrase from the Wall Street 2 movie did you?

What do you mean by “Running Money”? I’ve heard that phrase before, but I don’t know if I am thinking the same thing that you are thinking.

iteracom Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > You didn’t pull the phrase from the Wall Street 2 movie did you? Me or Bchad? I’ve never seen WS2, heard it’s beyond not good.

ohai Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > What do you mean by “Running Money”? I’ve heard that phrase before, but I don’t know if I am thinking the same thing that you are thinking. For example, if I were to walk up to a portfolio manager at an investment management firm and ask “What do you do?”, his response would be “Run money”. In what context have you heard it used?

Pretty much the same thing. That is, generic term used to describe finance activity. I have no idea what it really means.

It means that you are in charge of the money. It rubs me the wrong way too…sounds pretty arrogant.

Interesting… who says it does seem to affect how I feel about it. “I run money.” Sounds arrogant. “I manage money,” “I invest money,” “I manage investments,” “I run a fund,” “I am a portfolio manager.” All of those sound a lot better. I do get the question “Have you run money?” which basically inquires if one’s done any of the above, and it doesn’t sound arrogant… maybe because the asker is not talking about themselves. “He/She ran money over at Such-and-such Bank.” Also doesn’t really sound arrogant to me. It’s just a colloquialism though, and shouldn’t be thought of as more.

What is my job? I run money. You know - play the market, make it rain. I am a dynamic performer with a passion for performance. Anyway, that is what I will tell all the interns next year.

models and bottles… hehehe that rhymes

I use it. I’ll stop now.

bchadwick Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Interesting… who says it does seem to affect how > I feel about it. > > “I run money.” Sounds arrogant. “I manage > money,” “I invest money,” “I manage investments,” > “I run a fund,” “I am a portfolio manager.” All > of those sound a lot better. > > I do get the question “Have you run money?” which > basically inquires if one’s done any of the above, > and it doesn’t sound arrogant… maybe because the > asker is not talking about themselves. > > “He/She ran money over at Such-and-such Bank.” > Also doesn’t really sound arrogant to me. It’s > just a colloquialism though, and shouldn’t be > thought of as more. That sums it up nicely. You should run money. …it also kind of sounds as if one might be smuggling large amounts of hard currency across a remote european border or using a boat off the keys - similar to running drugs or guns.

ohai Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > What is my job? I run money. You know - play the > market, make it rain. I am a dynamic performer > with a passion for performance. > > Anyway, that is what I will tell all the interns > next year. Don’t forget to mention you trade size and that you ARE the market.

iteracom Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > models and bottles… hehehe that rhymes +1 great video