Bad washroom etiquette. 2 questions:

1. How do you politely tell a superior (as in regional vice president)… a person whose hand you just shook, that you noticed earlier that he did not wash his hands after doing his business? 2) My colleague and I were discussing the valuation for a new issue… fairly important stuff. I was in the washroom and doing my thing, and he would not stop talking. I cannot speak whilst midstream, because then the stream just goes all over the place uncontrollably. I didn’t say anything, again, whilst midstream as he asked me a few questions. He got slightly annoyed that I didn’t answer right away. Who is in the wrong here?
  1. You don’t. Not worth it. 2) I also hate this. It’s awkward AND physically challenging to talk and pee at the same time. Just avoid going to the bathroom at the same time as your colleague. If you’re heading to the bathroom and you see him go in, just act like you were on your way to the water fountain.
  1. you dont…u wash your hands after shaking his hands 2) Practice makes you perfect. Try mental reflection and talking while going midstream low stream high stream
  1. This is why I’m strictly stall-only at work.

Brent Favre Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > 2) This is why I’m strictly stall-only at work. We make fun of people like you behind your back.

Brent Favre Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > 2) This is why I’m strictly stall-only at work. +1

My boss’s boss’s boss, who is in charge of a couple of thousands of people, talks loudly to people while at the urinal. A couple of times, I’ve been doing my business, and boss^3 walks up to the urinal next to me and goes “HEY OHAI, HOW ARE YOU DOING?”. Remember, we are both holding our dicks at this point. Also, for some reason, he never uses the urinal that is one space away. He’s also very tall, so I suspect that he catches a glimpse of other peoples’ junk over the urinal divider. I’m glad that I’m not the only person who finds situations like this awkward.

I talk to people at the stall. I even talk to people who aren’t at the stall when I’m at the stall. Not weird. I got over stall performance anxiety in college when I asked a chick at a frat party to “aim for me.” Hat tip: Tucker Max.

I have a friend from high school who is now a female to male transsexual. He says the biggest shock is having to use male public bathrooms. First, the sanitation is way different. Second, apparently, women are always chatting in the bathroom, whereas men keep quiet, “because its all about reassuring everyone that ‘I’m not staring at your junk’.”. This definitely made me rethink bathroom behavior, and it’s interesting that guys will occasionally talk at the sink, but not elsewhere.

I normally do my business five floors below mine to avoid such encounters. I remember this huge bodybuilder at an airport’s restroom. He occupied one urinal and blocked the adjacent two at each side because his back was that big. Then he started to moan really loud like: “AAAAAAHHHHHGGGGG!!”, a pause peeing, then another “AAAAAAHHHHHGGGGGG!!”. Apparently the guy was in such pain that he had to let us know. I left the restroom and he was still standing in front of the urinal with a hand on the wall and a suffering face trying to finish. Awkward.

tj2001 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > 1) How do you politely tell a superior (as in > regional vice president)… a person whose hand > you just shook, that you noticed earlier that he > did not wash his hands after doing his business? > > 2) My colleague and I were discussing the > valuation for a new issue… fairly important > stuff. I was in the washroom and doing my thing, > and he would not stop talking. I cannot speak > whilst midstream, because then the stream just > goes all over the place uncontrollably. I didn’t > say anything, again, whilst midstream as he asked > me a few questions. He got slightly annoyed that > I didn’t answer right away. Who is in the wrong > here? 1) As others have said, you don’t. You high five him, if he wants. Heck, let him handle your lunch with his bare hands, and then throw it out and get a new one when he’s gone. Not. Worth. It. 2) Generally, if it’s a colleague you’re on good terms with, as you hit the restroom door be like, “OK URINAL REVERENCE, NO MORE TALKING FOR A BIT.” I swear to god, I have had to say this kinda thing to urinal chatters, and if you’re naturally a jokey kind of person, then it’ll probably go over fine. If it really bothers you, sidestep the issue by converting to stall-only or just not entering the restroom with other dudes who you know will start conversations.

Pee under your desk. Problem solved.

Once in a while, I witness people having conversations between stalls while doing number 2. Sometimes, there are “sound effects” also. I guess if they’re both cool with that…

some people like to get jiggy with it towards the end

So guys, when you’re out with some women, do you ever head to the mens room, and then look at your wingman with that “come on, guy, I’m GOING there and we need to discuss stuff,” look. Sometime, I’d like to try that and see what the women think. :wink:

ohai Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Once in a while, I witness people having conversations between stalls while doing number 2. Sometimes, there are “sound effects” also. I guess if they’re both cool with that… Always find it funny to hear people on their blackberries or making a stall call.

Inner Evil Voice Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I normally do my business five floors below mine > to avoid such encounters. > > I remember this huge bodybuilder at an airport’s > restroom. He occupied one urinal and blocked the > adjacent two at each side because his back was > that big. Then he started to moan really loud > like: “AAAAAAHHHHHGGGGG!!”, a pause peeing, then > another “AAAAAAHHHHHGGGGGG!!”. Apparently the guy > was in such pain that he had to let us know. I > left the restroom and he was still standing in > front of the urinal with a hand on the wall and a > suffering face trying to finish. Awkward. HAhAha. I hate it when they moan and I have noticed the oldies do it all the time.

Yeah we got a few Non-handwashers at my work. its gross.

Another etiquette question: are you supposed to wipe then blow your nose in the tissue or blow your nose and the wipe? I always get it mixed up.