AF Fantasy Football League - Season 2

Ladies (hopefully?) and Gentlemen, With just the i’s to be dotted and the t’s to be crossed on the new CBA, it looks like the start of the NFL season is right around the corner. With that comes the greatest competition known to man (and woman, hopefully), the AnalystForum Fantasy Football League. I personally think last year was a great inaugural year for the league, and I think the others that participated would agree. I would propose the following changes: 1. Have someone else be the commissioner. I don’t mind doing it again, but I think it would be best practices to have a new commish every year. 2. Change from a snake draft to an auction draft. I proposed this last year as well - I think it is a better, fairer, and more fun way to draft. I wouldn’t mind doing a snake draft again but I think it’s something to consider. I’m on board with keeping all the other rule settings and the buy-in at $50. Fantasysportsvault wasn’t an ideal solution for housing the pot during the year but I think it works given the fact that there’s no other alternative out there that I know of - but that is an issue the new commissioner can take on. Please reply if you are interested in joining the league and willing to be the commissioner. We’ll figure out how to choose a commish later, but I think anyone that was in the league last year and coming back for this second year is more than eligible and will do a great job. Let me be the first to say that I’m in, and ready to dominate the whole year and probably choke in the championship game again this year!

Hey guys, I’d be in again…however my concern is that I’m gone from August 19-29 and then from August 31 through September 10. If people don’t mind doing the draft before August 19 or on August 30, I’m in. I’d be OK being commissioner too…have commissioned leagues in the past and it’s usually a seamless process. Usually the biggest issue is getting people to pay up before the draft, but I’m pretty good about collections. If people get testy, I’ll make 'em an offer they can’t refuse.

i’ll play

I would be in too. However, I like the idea of the auction draft and have done them before, but they typically take a long time. The snake drafts are a lot quicker. Just something to keep in mind.

I was just about to post this. I’m definitely in for a second season.

i’m in. i prefer snake because 1) its quicker, 2) people can auto-draft good teams if absent and 3) its the only draft type i’ve ever done. also, i think the latest draft date possible would be best as there are a ton of transactions that need to get done between now and 9/8. we’re looking to draft on 9/6 in another of my leagues just because of that. last idea - what do you think of everyone auto-drafting so we just rely on our PM skills to determine the winner?

I vote “no” on autodraft, but have done it before and am fine with it if most others agree. The latest draft I can personally attend is August 30. Obviously I don’t want to be a limiting factor in this league, but am hoping I’ll get to participate this year.

I agree with Numi - no autodraft - the draft is one of the most fun parts of the league and there’s plenty of strategy involved on that as well. Also I’m fine with having the draft on August 30th. Just about everything should be sorted about by then as I can’t see teams making serious roster moves just one week before the start of the regular season.

i’m fine with 8/30. we should know ~90% of the starters after the 3rd preseason game.

By the way - I just set up a different fantasy league on Yahoo and there are very few draft times available at this point. Unless Yahoo decides to buy more servers and unlock more draft times in the future (unlikely) we will probably need an alternate way to draft. This isn’t a big issue if we do a standard snake draft, but it’s something to keep in mind and something the new commish can figure out.

Is it possible for us to switch to ESPN?

Hey All, I’m in for another round - hoping I’m not on the wrong end of another ridiculous Michael Vick night this year…

Yes we can do it on ESPN. I prefer yahoo but we might not have a choice this time around.

All right I’ll look into this stuff over the next couple days. Will set up a draft for the evening of the 30th. Meanwhile do we want to do fantasy sports vault again as the repository for payouts? If not, I’m happy to do it - people can send their payments via PayPal and I can distribute payouts within two weeks of season’s close. That’s assuming everyone trusts me to safeguard their cash-money. Otherwise we can just roll with the Vault again, though that was a bit problematic from last year’s experiences.

I am in this year. $50 buy in right?

Turns out yahoo did open up some more timeslots - so I made the draft at 8/30 at 8pm EST, tentatively. Since we aren’t getting much interest on here, I invited all the players from last year to join through yahoo, so hopefully they will be up for another season as well. For those of you that are interested that weren’t in the league last year, we’ll get you in the league if there’s room. It was a 10 team league last year but I certainly wouldn’t be opposed to having 12 teams but again, that’s up to Numi to decide. As far as housing the pot money throughout the year, I would be comfortable with having Numi keep it or using fantasysportsvault - whatever is easier for the other players is fine with me.

double post.

12 teams is OK with me if that means we can get some new AF participants. Date and time of draft are fine too. Thanks for looking into this king_kong. Given that you have already set up a league, do you want to be the commissioner instead and I can just use my PayPal account as a repository for the prize money? Otherwise I can be commissioner too.

can’t we all just use our binding ‘ethical standards’ to pay the winner at the end of this thing? if that doesn’t work, i know a somali prince who’s great at wiring funds…

^ I’m not really concerned with someone not paying at the end for unethical reasons, I’m more concerned with someone just losing interested in the league and forgetting to pay. For that reason, it’s just easier to have all the money in a central location before the draft. Numi - I will assign you commish rights as soon as you join the league on yahoo. Again, I’m fine with you keeping the money or fantasysportsvault, it’s up to the other players in the league if they have a preference.