Speeding Tickets & CB Radios

86 posts / 0 new
Last post
builders's picture

iteracom wrote:

Radar/Laser detectors are not illegal (except in Virginia and DC I believe), but laser jammers ARE Illegal. Jammers are the only thing that can “save” you by jamming the laser gun to read “JTG” instead of your actual speed.

it should be illegal for you to continue to misinform on the internet.

Radar jammers are illegal, laser jammers are not. Lasers are governed by FDA (originally invented to scan food bar codes) and FDA has no rules about blocking laser

Radar signal governed by FCC, who says it is illegal to block radar

Blake McCallister's picture

Black Swan wrote:
I just don’t have the time for that

Makes sense. A 400 mile trip @ 80 mph will take 5 hrs. A 400 mile trip @ 70 will take less than 45 minutes more. And that is constant speed. You can speed up when it is appropriate and shave even more time off.

Maybe less times visiting your parent’s house? You can play Xbox in your studio apartment, can’t you?

"Essentially, all models are wrong, but some are useful..."

Black Swan's picture

Assuming that math and saying I only drive that amount every other weekend means I can save ~20 hours of driving over the course of a year by going 80 with CB. I think it’s worth the ~300 to get a full day of my life back each year. Just my opinion and your math.

redacted

monger187's picture

Why not save even more time and do 150 mph?

Blake McCallister's picture

Black Swan wrote:
Assuming that math and saying I only drive that amount every other weekend means I can save ~20 hours of driving over the course of a year by going 80 with CB. I think it’s worth the ~300 to get a full day of my life back each year. Just my opinion and your math.

Well assuming “your math” you have already lost your license for at least 30 days which is 720 hours + fines and insurance surcharges. You also don’t make that much. Using “your math” and my loss function, has it been worth it from a utility point of view?

"Essentially, all models are wrong, but some are useful..."

Black Swan's picture

Blake McCallister wrote:
Black Swan wrote:
Assuming that math and saying I only drive that amount every other weekend means I can save ~20 hours of driving over the course of a year by going 80 with CB. I think it’s worth the ~300 to get a full day of my life back each year. Just my opinion and your math.

Well assuming “your math” you have already lost your license for at least 30 days which is 720 hours + fines and insurance surcharges. You also don’t make that much. Using “your math” and my loss function, has it been worth it from a utility point of view?

Yes, I walk during the week and can hitch those 2-3 weekend trips with friends if they’re kayaking or skiing (most likely). Fine was only $160, big whoop. Insurance is a non-issue, I make enough. I also put a high price on personal time, I have far less of that than I do excess cash, so yeah, still works for me. Plus when your personal time involves hucking 30 ft ledges & waterfalls in skis and kayaks, it tends to have a higher value than someone who sucks down fast food burgers on their day off.

redacted

Black Swan's picture

monger187 wrote:
Why not save even more time and do 150 mph?

Done it before @ 165 in my car. Logistically impossible to do in traffic, sucks gas like you wouldn’t believe.

redacted

Blake McCallister's picture

Black Swan wrote:
Blake McCallister wrote:
Black Swan wrote:
Assuming that math and saying I only drive that amount every other weekend means I can save ~20 hours of driving over the course of a year by going 80 with CB. I think it’s worth the ~300 to get a full day of my life back each year. Just my opinion and your math.

Well assuming “your math” you have already lost your license for at least 30 days which is 720 hours + fines and insurance surcharges. You also don’t make that much. Using “your math” and my loss function, has it been worth it from a utility point of view?

Yes, I walk during the week and can hitch those 2-3 weekend trips with friends if they’re kayaking or skiing (most likely). Fine was only $160, big whoop. Insurance is a non-issue, I make enough. I also put a high price on personal time, I have far less of that than I do excess cash, so yeah, still works for me. Plus when your personal time involves hucking 30 ft ledges & waterfalls in skis and kayaks, it tends to have a higher value than someone who sucks down fast food burgers on their day off.

The Indiana Jones of Pennsylvania. Where are you “hucking” these ledges in PA on skis? LMAO.

I’ll have to remember this this weekend when I’m hiking the redwoods in Nor Cal and heading off to Lake Tahoe in the next few weeks… ROFL

"Essentially, all models are wrong, but some are useful..."

jcole21's picture

Hahahah this took a turn towards funny-ville after page 1. Well done boys - a good ol’ fashioned forum scrap over CB’s and lifestyles, hilarious.

No quote needed

bpdulog's picture

Wow Blake, get a life dude. Anyone who’s hung out with Black Swan knows he’s not some kid playing Xbox all day.

NO EXCUSES

Critique my resume: http://www.razume.com/documents/27593

Like electronic music? Check out my latest mix: http://www.mixcloud.com/bpdulog/mix-5/

Black Swan's picture

bpdulog wrote:
Wow Blake, get a life dude. Anyone who’s hung out with Black Swan knows he’s not some kid playing Xbox all day.

Yea!!! Friday was in fact epic, haha.

redacted

itera's picture

builders wrote:
iteracom wrote:

Radar/Laser detectors are not illegal (except in Virginia and DC I believe), but laser jammers ARE Illegal. Jammers are the only thing that can “save” you by jamming the laser gun to read “JTG” instead of your actual speed.

it should be illegal for you to continue to misinform on the internet.

Radar jammers are illegal, laser jammers are not. Lasers are governed by FDA (originally invented to scan food bar codes) and FDA has no rules about blocking laser

Radar signal governed by FCC, who says it is illegal to block radar

There are so many things wrong with your post. Do any simple search, laser jammers are surely illegal in many states. And I never mentioned radar jammers in my original post, so why the heck you brought that up at all is beyond me.

Hope. It is the quintessential human delusion, simultaneously the source of your greatest strength, and greatest weakness.

Black Swan's picture

Blake McCallister wrote:

The Indiana Jones of Pennsylvania. Where are you “hucking” these ledges in PA on skis? LMAO.

Backcountry mostly: Whistler, Steamboat, Keystone, A-Basin, Jackson Hole, Purgatory, Tuckerman’s, a few others I can’t remember. Our local hill 7Springs is one of the top 10 terrain parks in the US with one of 4 olympic superpipes in the US and launches up to 60-70 ft (which I don’t do). I’ll hang with most anybody, except maybe mwvt, that guys a mean machine! Kayaking wise this region has some of the best ranked class V-V+ in the nation as well.

Blake McCallister wrote:
I’ll have to remember this this weekend when I’m hiking the redwoods in Nor Cal and heading off to Lake Tahoe in the next few weeks… ROFL

Yaaawwwwnn. I run ultras. Hiking’s for b*tches.

redacted

bpdulog's picture

Black Swan wrote:
bpdulog wrote:
Wow Blake, get a life dude. Anyone who’s hung out with Black Swan knows he’s not some kid playing Xbox all day.

Yea!!! Friday was in fact epic, haha.

I’d like to relive that night every night for the rest of my life.

NO EXCUSES

Critique my resume: http://www.razume.com/documents/27593

Like electronic music? Check out my latest mix: http://www.mixcloud.com/bpdulog/mix-5/

Blake McCallister's picture

Black Swan wrote:
Blake McCallister wrote:

The Indiana Jones of Pennsylvania. Where are you “hucking” these ledges in PA on skis? LMAO.

Backcountry mostly: Whistler, Steamboat, Keystone, A-Basin, Jackson Hole, Purgatory, Tuckerman’s, a few others I can’t remember. Our local hill 7Springs is one of the top 10 terrain parks in the US with one of 4 olympic superpipes in the US and launches up to 60-70 ft (which I don’t do). I’ll hang with most anybody, except maybe mwvt, that guys a mean machine! Kayaking wise this region has some of the best ranked class V-V+ in the nation as well.

Blake McCallister wrote:
I’ll have to remember this this weekend when I’m hiking the redwoods in Nor Cal and heading off to Lake Tahoe in the next few weeks… ROFL

Yaaawwwwnn. I run ultras. Hiking’s for b*tches.

Awesome, most of that stuff I was doing in high school. Tucks is a joke. I’m going to jackson Hole this year and probably doing Aspen /Aspen Highlands again and the Tahoe resorts.

I’m into speed and steeps (ex GS racer) so sitting around halfpipes with stoners really isn’t my thing…

"Essentially, all models are wrong, but some are useful..."

Black Swan's picture

Ditto on high school, that was actually when I nailed my first ~30 footer in Whistler. I was 15. Everyone’s a former “racer” big deal. And to call Tuckerman’s a joke is just dumb. Read any writeup by any major ski publication and find me one other “expert” to agree with you and I’ll concede your point. It’s pretty funny because I just googled Tuckerman’s is a joke and every single relevant reference on the first page of hits says “Tuckerman’s is no joke”. Hmm, up to 60 degree slope with some lines such as ice fall requiring 20+ foot drops? It’s funny, because Warren Miller is releasing a film with a segment on Tuckerman’s this year. Someone should let him know our local troll thinks it’s a joke. Nice try burger boy, stick to the nature hikes.

redacted

Blake McCallister's picture

Black Swan wrote:
Ditto on high school, that was actually when I nailed my first ~30 footer in Whistler. I was 15. Everyone’s a former “racer” big deal. And to call Tuckerman’s a joke is just dumb. Read any writeup by any major ski publication and find me one other “expert” to agree with you and I’ll concede your point. It’s pretty funny because I just googled Tuckerman’s is a joke and every single relevant reference on the first page of hits says “Tuckerman’s is no joke”. Hmm, up to 60 degree slope with some lines such as ice fall requiring 20+ foot drops? It’s funny, because Warren Miller is releasing a film with a segment on Tuckerman’s this year. Someone should let him know our local troll thinks it’s a joke. Nice try burger boy.

Why did you have to Google it? I thought you have done it. There are no 60 degree faces or 20+ foot drops on the headwall. It’s between 45 and 50 I would estimate. No “drops” either.

Why do I think Tuck’s is a joke?
1) Most people there don’t belong there. They go so they can say they went
2) It’s not worth it in my opinion with the climbing for the amount of skiing
3) The snow quaity is terrible
4) You get hurt, you are in trouble. My friend’s father broke his leg there
5) Most people don’t do the headwall

I could go on and on…

"Essentially, all models are wrong, but some are useful..."

Black Swan's picture

Blake McCallister wrote:
Black Swan wrote:
Ditto on high school, that was actually when I nailed my first ~30 footer in Whistler. I was 15. Everyone’s a former “racer” big deal. And to call Tuckerman’s a joke is just dumb. Read any writeup by any major ski publication and find me one other “expert” to agree with you and I’ll concede your point. It’s pretty funny because I just googled Tuckerman’s is a joke and every single relevant reference on the first page of hits says “Tuckerman’s is no joke”. Hmm, up to 60 degree slope with some lines such as ice fall requiring 20+ foot drops? It’s funny, because Warren Miller is releasing a film with a segment on Tuckerman’s this year. Someone should let him know our local troll thinks it’s a joke. Nice try burger boy.

Why did you have to Google it? I thought you have done it. There are no 60 degree faces or 20+ foot drops on the headwall. It’s between 45 and 50 I would estimate. No “drops” either.

Why do I think Tuck’s is a joke?
1) Most people there don’t belong there. They go so they can say they went
2) It’s not worth it in my opinion with the climbing for the amount of skiing
3) The snow quaity is terrible
4) You get hurt, you are in trouble. My friend’s father broke his leg there
5) Most people don’t do the headwall

I could go on and on…

I have done it, I googled “Tuckerman’s is a joke to” see if anyone agreed with you, turns out no one does. Not one.

#4 is why the call it back country and not “side country” which is apparently what you’re used to.

Ice fall is between the main headwall and some other line I forget:
http://timefortuckerman.com/routes.html

Wikipedia description:
“Still farther to the right are the Center Gullies, which includes “The Icefall”, which is 55 degrees, and requires skiers to go off cliffs as tall as 25 feet (7.6 m).” They say 55, I say 60, I’m not going to dicker, you can have the 5 degrees.

redacted

CFAvsMBA's picture

I bet Blake has a big p3nis. At least for a white guy.

Blake McCallister's picture

Black Swan wrote:
Blake McCallister wrote:
Black Swan wrote:
Ditto on high school, that was actually when I nailed my first ~30 footer in Whistler. I was 15. Everyone’s a former “racer” big deal. And to call Tuckerman’s a joke is just dumb. Read any writeup by any major ski publication and find me one other “expert” to agree with you and I’ll concede your point. It’s pretty funny because I just googled Tuckerman’s is a joke and every single relevant reference on the first page of hits says “Tuckerman’s is no joke”. Hmm, up to 60 degree slope with some lines such as ice fall requiring 20+ foot drops? It’s funny, because Warren Miller is releasing a film with a segment on Tuckerman’s this year. Someone should let him know our local troll thinks it’s a joke. Nice try burger boy.

Why did you have to Google it? I thought you have done it. There are no 60 degree faces or 20+ foot drops on the headwall. It’s between 45 and 50 I would estimate. No “drops” either.

Why do I think Tuck’s is a joke?
1) Most people there don’t belong there. They go so they can say they went
2) It’s not worth it in my opinion with the climbing for the amount of skiing
3) The snow quaity is terrible
4) You get hurt, you are in trouble. My friend’s father broke his leg there
5) Most people don’t do the headwall

I could go on and on…

I have done it, I googled “Tuckerman’s is a joke to” see if anyone agreed with you, turns out no one does. Not one.

#4 is why the call it back country and not “side country” which is apparently what you’re used to.

Ice fall is between the main headwall and some other line I forget:
http://timefortuckerman.com/routes.html

Wikipedia description:
“Still farther to the right are the Center Gullies, which includes “The Icefall”, which is 55 degrees, and requires skiers to go off cliffs as tall as 25 feet (7.6 m).” They say 55, I say 60, I’m not going to dicker, you can have the 5 degrees.

And we all know that everything on Wiki is true. Why do you keep having to refer to Google and Wiki? I am an expert skier and no one I ski with has to run to the internet to come up with stats and such. I honestly do not think you have been there because you keep havng to run to the internet. If you have been there, you would know that snow quality is most of the time pretty bad. You would also know that what you just referenced is only “skiiable” when there has been an extremely snowy winter up there. Those are rock ledges and if it has been a light winter, than you can’t ski them because there is no coverage. Plus, you have to worry about avalanches if it is too warm. People go to Tuck’s to do the headwall and most of the people don’t even do it. This is the kind of stuff you would know if you got off of the internet and did it.

My last post on this thread. It has become ridiculous and you aren’t even speaking from knowledge.

"Essentially, all models are wrong, but some are useful..."

Black Swan's picture

I’ve personally met about a dozen peeps of this forum that can vouch. I’ve skied both headwall and icefall, don’t get mad just because I found factual references to prove you’re full of sh*t. I love how Tucks is “a joke” to you because it’s basically too scary and too back country with iffy conditions and the terrain scares you. LMAO. I’m sure you fit right in at Aspen with your matching cardigan. I’m sorry you had to leave with your tail between your legs, I’ve been enjoying mopping the floor with you. Also, the ravine averages 55 feet a year, so I don’t know what light winters you’re referring to.

redacted

itera's picture

Oh we’re still feeding the troll here? why bother? He’s probably laughing on his side of the keyboard at how people are actually taking him seriously.

Hope. It is the quintessential human delusion, simultaneously the source of your greatest strength, and greatest weakness.

Black Swan's picture

Nah, I think he’s just lame enough to occasionally come off ad a troll

redacted

jcole21's picture

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA WHO’S E-P IS BIGGER WHO WHO WHO???

No quote needed

Inner Evil Voice's picture

I’ve been caught speeding in four countries and I always show a foreign driver’s license (have three of them) and I’m usually let go with a warning after a lengthy speech. Not really a big fan of speed, but come on, what’s the point of having a nice car if can’t push it a little bit here and there?

However my most serious traffic-related incident was in Baja, Mexico more than a decade ago when in the wee hours my friends and I decided to take a leak in the middle of a freeway, were all sh!tfaced, had the car loaded with booze—no dead body in the trunk, fortunately. We were breathing the fresh air coming from the Cortez Sea while cursing other people driving by. All was fun until the next car coming right in front of us turned out to be a police car. When I saw the red and blue lights just had time to think that I was f__ed in so many ways. Less than a minute later we were swarmed, handcuffed, and pointed with a gun while laying on the floor.

Best years of my life.

Pages

Subscribe toComments for "Speeding Tickets & CB Radios"