Help with interview at a distressed fund

Hi all,

I have an interview coming up for an analyst position at a distressed hf. I’ve only worked at long/short equity funds in the past and am not too familiar with distressed investing. Does anybody here have any experience in this field who can give me some suggestions on how to prep for this? I would guess that they would want me to pitch some sort of distressed credit idea but I have no idea where to get started. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Depends on the size of the firm. Generally your resume and a quick Google/LinkedIn search tells employers whether or not you are qualified. The smaller the firm, the more you should expect questions about motivation, longevity, personality style and factual information such as current compensation and current job duties. Larger firms have their own institutionalized processes and they can be found easily on Vault.

Check this blog out - http://www.distressed-debt-investing.com/ Although I don’t have much knowledge about this area, this guys blog is quite good. It discusses various issues pertaining to distressed debt and has several ideas that you could explore. Also you should see if you can get your hands on the book by Stephen Moyer called Distressed Debt Analysis. Quite a handy book for prep and will probably be helpful if you get the job.

howd it go