Is it possible to work part time/freelance in equity analysis?

Hello all, I’m in a situation where I need my mornings free and I can work beginning with 2 PM EST into the evening. Is there any way you can make money as an equity analyst (or doing related work) by working part time, preferably from home? I don’t care if the pay is lower per hour, which I’m sure it will be. I just want to be able to be in a situation where I can do equity analysis work and make some money off it while I operate another business. Any constructive ideas are welcome and appreciated in advance, and please spare me the “What are you crazy” and “Oh sure, and I want to work part time in M&A” comments :slight_smile:

I do believe there are, but I don’t know how it will work in terms of FINRA licenses. Do you have them?

Unfortunately not at the moment :confused: I still need to build a track record and I’m okay doing stuff for little pay so long as I can get my name out there and build a portfolio.

@Giovanni: How about taking some project based work from freelancing websites? I don’t think you would be needing any licenses for that. However, pay will be crappy due to intense competition and oversupply of “talent” from Asia.

I’d be interested in any good freelance that I could do from home, Ninja. Either equity analysis or broader macro themes (esp. things like currencies), with a focus on emerging markets. I have an MBA, but sadly no direct experience to date working as an analyst. My goal is to build up a portfolio and experience doing the work, alongside going through my CFA charter, so that I can be come more competitive.

Awaits my man Numi to reply. What about supporting some BSD from AF? Not sure what level of confidence is needed for initial coverage, but certainly some of these Sell Siders could offload some of the grunt work?

CFAvsMBA, don’t know what BSD and AF stand for pardon my ignorance? Thanks again to everyone who chimed in…

BSD = Big Swinging dick (a big shot in finance)

AF = Analyst Forum

Yea BSD is like a golden boy.

CFAvsMBA, thanks for the shout-out as always.

Giovanni, it’s possible to get project-related or consulting work, but it’s really predicated on how good you are. People in this industry don’t tolerate mistakes and also aren’t keen on training people, so whether or not you canm find work will depend on your work experience and what type of evidence you can show about your credentials. If you don’t have good qualifications on both ends, you will probably find it difficult to find even part time work.

I don’t want to be too discouraging, but a lot of people will assume that if you are any good, you won’t need to do part-time work, and if you are looking for part time work, it’s an indication that you are either 1) not any good, or 2) highly exploitable for intermittent offers that are lowballed. My guess is 2 is a better-but-still-bad outcome for you.

There’s some irony to this, because the securities markets are probably a lot more efficient than the labor market. However, it’s more convenient to think that other people’s analysis of the value of your labor is a good indicator, while at the same time believing that other people’s analysis of the value of a stock isn’t.

The exceptions come if you have some kind of brand name, where the assumption is that people will save money by buying your research rather than having their own researchers do something. So people like Dennis Gartman, James Bianco, Meredith Whitney, and the like have enough brand name recognition that they can do that.

So one of the ways to do this might be to (as many people do) run a blog of your analysis. You can try to do the following, which is to give away some portion of your analysis (to demonstrate your quality), then point out the other analysis that you’ve done that is available for purchase. So you might have analyses of 10 companies, one for free, and 9 for purchase, or something like that. You still run into the problem that people will try to buy your research and then mail it around to their friends, but it’s better than nothing. Part of the annoyance of this industry is that you have people with lots of money trying to get as much out of you for free as possible. It’s part of the game, but it does make it hard to respect the people that do it continuously.

Your best bet is to have some good market research about what companies and sectors are most in demand for research and poorly covered and have some quality there.

if you are any good at equity analysis you should trade your own accounts

@Giovanni: I am Co-CEO of SpareHire (www.sparehire.com), an online marketplace for project-based work in the investment management industry. Our marketplace fills the exact need you are referring to - you can find several part-time projects in the areas of corporate finance, M&A, investment analysis, etc. as a member of our network.

Please take a look and let me know your thoughts!

Have you tried Seekingalpha.com?

Or run a blog/website with your analysis then either start charging money for premium content or sell advertising for revenues… just some ideas… I haven’t tried either approach though so YMMV.

Hi, i checked your site but it has nothing for the aspiring freelancers who are new. Like am a cfa level 2 candidate and I want to work as freelancer but i have no experience but knowledge… So how can I join your network?? Please reply.

Hi, i checked your site but it has nothing for the aspiring freelancers who are new. Like am a cfa level 2 candidate and I want to work as freelancer but i have no experience but knowledge… So how can I join your network?? Please reply.

Hi, do you hire fresher’s ?? I am a cfa level II candidate and also done financial modelling course and keenly interested in financial research. Please reply.

Anyone know where to get freelance financial projects for newbies like us?? I am highly interested in starting my freelance financial analysis career. An aspiring CFA… Please revert with your comments.