Low undergrad GPA on resume

Yo AFers, I’m trying to figure out how to hide/downplay/mask my low undergrad grades (GPA: 2.9/4) on my resume. Among other things I thought about the following: - Include high school education – I was valedictorian with a perfect 4/4 GPA. I know this is only acceptable for people just out of school, but since It’s been 2 years since I graduated, maybe it’s not that bad for me to include it? - Mention my 730 gmat score? - Go in deep regarding on the CFA program and mention that I scored >70% on every single topic on both CFA L1 and L2 ? Btw, the reason why I had such crappy grades is because I was busy working 6-8 hours a day on my part-time job all throughout uni. Plus I was also spending a great deal of time investing my uncle’s money (and I did manage to outperform the market by 7% pts). I am already including the job and the investing under work experience (I was investing my uncle’s company money so all the results have been audited). Any advice/criticism?

Do not include your high schhol GPA under any circumstances. If you’re not proud about your current GPA, don’t put it in your resume.

No GPA > low undergrad GPA + high highschool GPA

I’m applying to a masters degree program. Admission department wants me to include GPA on my resume.

depending on where you go to school they won’t care if you have a great gmat score. MBA program try to focus a big part on building diverse teams and groups. If you get an interview it may come up and what i’ve learned is to tell the truth what happened and always have in mind that there is no good excuse, but to say what you have done to improve. Because the way I look at it there is always someone better than me, just cause i couldn’t juggle 10 things at once doesn’t mean someone else didn’t.

anyways, such as tell the reason why you didn’t do well (as stated above). then go into saying you improved time management and you were able to get a great gmat score while doing blah blah blah.

ya it depends on who is looking at your info too some people might say well he is inconsistent but i think these days people will look at oh he was able to adjust and adapt.

No one wants to hear excuses.

Yeah, may be too much to include on the resume, so rather you could include all that info as part of a cover letter or essay. Applications generally allow a ton chance for you to explain your situation - so just be honest and own it, and explain how you’re going to take your experience and add value to the program.

I had same GPA as you OP, I left it off. Also for CFA results, I had nearly same as you, except 1 that was less than 70% in level 1 but I I left them off as well, no mention. My reason is, I read that older charterholders didn’t get the same breakdown on theirs so they would not know the significance, and if non-finance HR people get it, they won’t be impressed with getting >70% on a test. I also read around that it’s akin to showing off (from an outsider’s point of view, finance people are the biggest hypocrites, ya go and buy $20k watch and $1k shoes but god forbid you did well on a test that has to do with your job but I digress…)

Clients and candidates often ask me what to do with GPA’s on their resume. My general suggestion that if it is at least 3.3/4.0, you should include it. Not that 3.3 is anything to really brag about, but it’s not bad either. Sometimes people assume that you have a sub-3.0 GPA if you leave it off your resume; other times, they just assume you’re more than a few years out of school so you decided it’s not critical to include it. In your case, you’re definitely better off omitting it but also mention that you were valedictorian in high school.

I’ve been told in the past by multiple people to leave GPA off if its under 3.6/4.0.

You don’t want to highlight mediocrity.

But its a tough call if you are just out of school with not much else to include.

Totally agree on not highlighting mediocrity; it’s really situational. If you’re a recent grad and aren’t in the career that you want, I think it does more good than harm to mention a 3.3 since if you have nothing else to offer, people will just be looking for reasons to ding you. The line of thought has more to do with the view that if you are a recent grad and omit your GPA, as this author is, people will suspect the GPA is not good. But in the OP’s case there’s obviously reason to omit.

If you’re already in the career path you want, you definitely don’t want to market a low GPA. For me, I don’t even want to see a low GPA myself. But if someone comes into my office and shows me they can be a great securities analyst or stock picker, I don’t really care what their GPA is. There is one thing that truly matters here: profits.

What’s the best way to show someone you can be a great securities analyst or stock picker?

^ Make a billion on your own account.

4.0 or hacksaw.

^ LOL

FTFY.

put your GMAT all the way.

GPA its a grey zone… your GMAT making up for most of it if you have a good explaination.

My blind advice = remove GPA just in case someone skims through it and misses out on your GMAT score OR put both but one right next to the other.

I can tell based on how they talk and write about stocks that they’ve covered. Of course, past predictions aren’t always indicative of future results but understanding how a person’s process aligns with my firm’s process is important.

Speak their language.

This is a load of BS. Try applying with a 3.8-4.0 university gpa with a low GMAT score and tell me what happens.

Agree. anyone still within 5 yrs out of school without a GPA on resume I would be suspicious

If I’m looking for a trader and you’re multiple yrs out, I wouldn’t care much