'Wolf of Wall Street' boosts searches for stockbroker jobs

Searches for stockbroker jobs on Indeed.com rose nearly 80% in the U.S. around the release of the Martin Scorsese film, according to the job site’s four-month study. Indeed looked at searches over the past two years and confirmed there was a significant spike in queries during the period leading up to and after the film’s release.

Stockbroker fever also caught on in the U.K., which saw a 44% spike in searches in January, when the film was released there.

Reminds me of Wall Street 2, we even got several inquires on AF about how to go into “energy trading”

http://blogs.marketwatch.com/thetell/2014/03/27/job-searches-for-stockbroker-rocket-after-the-wolf-of-wall-street/

Interesting. We had a pupil last week for internship who wanted to experience the amazing life of Asset Management…

… he fell asleep at his desk!!

Thing is, although these movies glamorise it, finance is incredibly boring if you’re just in it for the money and have zero passion/interest.

The best salesman does not always sell the best products, but man, what a great story by the Wolf!?

Most people are sheep not wolves.

They are looking for ways to hook up with a woman like Margot Robbie.

Passion? Dont be one of those who says he’s truly passionate about it and not in it just for the money…it will work against you.

^ Especially in interviews.

Yeah I know, not saying I go to sleep dreaming about whether a stock is over-valued but a genuine interest defiitely helps at the junior levels where work is monotonous. If I came in everyday thinking only about my paycheck I don’t think I could last very long being somebody elses monkey. I work with some guys that you can tell hate their jobs and if it wasn’t for the money they would be long gone, they have no desire for extra projects or doing outside reading etc. and just clock in and clock out each day.

^ a lot of junior IB folks actualyl are quite miserable. despite the “relatively” high pay.

I say relatively because the per hour rate actually is pretty bad. if you took a back office and worked at mcdonalds for another 8 hours shift everyday + weekends, you may not be too far away. although the exit ops will be very different admittidly.

The happiest days in IB are the day you get hired and the day you quit.