GMAT Score on Resume

Would you guys put your GMAT score on your resume if it was above 700 before you even went to grad school?

I got a 750 and I put that as the very last line on my resume. I’m sure some people think its douchey, but a number of people commented on it positively. I am in a geeky fixed income role though, so it basically demonstrated that I had math skills, which was important for the role. YMMV.

I advise clients in most cases to do list GMAT if over 700. However, if it’s been more than a few years since you took the test, I’d consider leaving it off. The only possible drawback is that it can take away from the focus of more substantive things you’ve done recently, or may signal to the reader that you’re still “living in the past” if your accomplishments since taking the GMAT are fairly unimpressive.

I scored over 700 but do not include it on my resume. However, I also work in a field where a number of people (certainly not a majority, but at least enough resumes I have seen) have scored 760 or above. As I scored below that, I didn’t think listing my GMAT would help incrementally. Then again, I also prefer to keep my resume as basic and simple as possible, so prefer having a lot of white space instead of risking clutter.

For me, the only thing that would matter to a prospective employer in the hedge fund industry were how good my stock calls are, so that takes up the bulk of my resume now which makes most of my prior accomplishments somewhat old news.

I just took the GMAT Monday and got a 710. I think I might list it since it’s fresh and even though I haven’t taken any graduate courses yet it shows aptitude. Would perspective employers be put off by the idea of someone having a good score tucked away thinking they’ll leave soon? Numi, could I write you an e-mail to ask a question about my application profile?

It is debatable then whether you should include it, as some employees will rightfully inquire if you have plans to jump ship for grad school after a year or two. Yes, you may email me at Numi.advisory@gmail.com.

I scored a 700, but wouldn’t dream of putting it on my resume. Putting it on my resume would in almost all likelihood require me to account for why the hell I had a 2.5 GPA from a mediocre state college that 90% of people in the state think is a community college. Might be a good jumping off point for a really disastrous interview, but I’ll pass.

If you feel the need to put it, it means that you don’t have better things to put on.

Do employers look for your GMAT score after doing your MBA? I’ve heard the rule that ‘over 700 you can subtly mention it, under 700 don’t bother’.

A Canadian perspective would be appreciated as well, former trader.

I wouldn’t put the GMAT after doing your MBA. Focus on your experience and references.

I got a 730 and have it on my resume.

I went to a non-target, started in corporate finance, and am working in Ohio - so I figure I can use any possible point to legitimize myself. Plus I genuinely haven’t decided on b-school or not, so I’m okay having that conversation.

Also I’m not a douche, so I don’t worry about coming off like one because of that item.

^ We’ll be the judge :wink:

Yeah, if your experience doesn’t stand out, a GMAT score won’t help you much.

Yeah, that’s true. Also a vicious cycle if you’re on the other end of that.

Just wondering how that would work for a career changer

Thanks FT & geo

If i had 700+, i’d keep. It means you are in the top 10%. Congrats buddy.

so can I put my 1450 SAT score on my resume too brahs. You know cause getting really high scores on standardized tests translates to real results in the workplace.

Everyone that’s pretending like putting test scores on a resume is some foreign concept has dementia. If we’re being completely honest work experience doesn’t necessarily translate to real results in the work place either but it’s the strongest link to getting hired. Just because you held a job doesn’t mean you did well. Resumes are a piece of paper to spark someones interest in talking to you and some people find standardized exams impressive.

Age Standardized Score Acceptable?

40 SAT - 1450 No

22 SAT - 1450 Yes

40 GMAT - 710 No

25 GMAT - 710 ?

+1 agree. No one will give you an interview/job becuase the GMAT score was good, and your work experience was no good.

i mean no one is disputing that a gmat is the holy grail, but what i am saying is if you score really high, then put it. its not going to hurt you. it doesnt take much space. Even if I am 35 or 50, hell even 65 and retired. “Gmat: 800”. cuz its hard to get and its one of your achievements.

^is u for real?

I’m afraid he is.