Do you use professional resume services?

For recent graduates I’m sure it helps, just wondering how much that can help for experienced professionals.

More than you know. Call my main man Numi, no homo.

Haha, thanks for the plug. You’re the man!

Is there any service that you guys would recommend?

The problem I always see is that professional resume services never provide either

A. Before and after examples. I want to see the jmprovement

b. Tangible result documentation. Ie sent 25 of resume A out, got zero responses. After our services we got 7 responses to 25 send outs of resume B.

and I always find myself feeling like the resume person isn’t familiar with the field or industry enough to really know the nuances. I know Numi is, but he isn’t the norm

I agree with you. That’s why I hesitate to use their service.

I know someone paid $500 for a resume service, but I truely don’t feel it much better than the one I did on my own, at least it doesn’t worth $500.

The thing is how you could judge if you don’t get responses back, it’s because of your qualificaton or your resume not standing out?

I was on the fence about this too. I decided to apply for as many jobs as possible with my current resume and see how many responses I got before deciding whether to get professional help. I’ve had about a 15-20% response rate, whether that’s just a phone screening or more interviews. I’m also applying for jobs out of state and in a slightly different area of finance, so I feel that’s not too shabby. Been applying for about two months now, so might wait a bit longer before seeking help. One point they do make is that it’s not just about getting a job, it’s about getting THE job. So maybe a better resume would get you in the door at a bigger firm, higher up the ladder, better pay, who knows. Either way, I still don’t have a new job, so take it for what it’s worth.

before numi i used to go to work with a fanny pack after numi i show up to work with a $400 tumi bag

For recent grads or experienced pros, it all depends on the research you’ve done. I don’t use professional resume services because I’ve spent many many hours reviewing resumes, researching best practices, and revising my own. I am confident in my resume building ability, have often been complimented on mine, and have help others to refine their own.

If you can’t say that, then a professional resume service may be right for you.

I looked at the resumes and linkedin profiles of BSDs, non-hacksaw people, and people with the jobs I wanted, and saw how they describe things. That alone will not only help your resume look nice but will help you in interivews. They feel those things are important to them otherwise they would not have them on their personal profiles or resumes. Appeal to their interests… When I was in sales, we called it mirroring.

I have tried this. I have spent COUNTLESS hours attempting to do this and fine tune my resume and am still left not feeling confident. There is an incredible amount of conflicting information how there. Just when you are starting to feel good about things, you see an article explicitly saying to not include that method on your resume. How do you decide how/who/what to trust?

Where can we find these? I would love to see some resumes of BSDs

^ use google, search the big name, search doc types, pdf, word. Search for profiles on websites (sometimes they have links to pdf of the resumes).

Just thinking aloud, if you can’t find much info on them, why not send them an email and say, “i’m pretty early on in my career in finance and learned of your name through a search for people who have been very successful in _______ (their speciality). I was wondering if I could get a copy of your bio or even resume to learn the path you took to get where you are today.”

Worst they can do is not reply right? I may be eccentric (some say I am haha) but I’d be pretty flattered getting an email like that.

How do you find out if someone is any good or not? That’s actually extremely easy – look at their recommendations and success rate. Numbers don’t lie.

All I can say is that if you look at my LinkedIn testimonials, my clients routinely destroy their competition and get six-figure salary jobs, sometimes seven figures all-in.

www.linkedin.com/in/numicareerconsulting/

When I hear people spending “countless hours” trying to fine-tune their resume or waiting “several months,” that’s honestly pretty damn depressing. No offense, but these people need to respect themselves and their time a little more.

I work with my clients to get outstanding results on their resumes, interviews, salary negotiations, or whatever, whether it’s for investment banking, private equity, equity research, long-only, or hedge funds. Why? Because I’ve worked in all those fields myself so I know the real deal. It’s not a coincidence that my clients make it past the screens, ace the interviews and get the jobs that others aren’t getting.

Life isn’t meant to be fair. In finance, only the strong survive. So you can either figure out how to stack the deck in your favor (be very resourceful or hire a good career coach) or always be on the outside looking in.

Numi, do you have a website? i’d love to see some examples of your work

also numi, do you believe that you could add value to entry-level resumes or is it limited to only long careered professionals?

Vandelay Industries, feel free to add me on LinkedIn or contact me at numi.advisory (gmail) and you can find out more. I don’t keep an “official” website because I’d be getting more traffic than I can handle. My services are high-touch because I care about my clients, nothing is generic, everything is customized. Also, I like to be able to screen my clients to figure out who I’ll be excited to work with and who’s more troublesome than it’s worth.

I’ve been doing career coaching for over five years now so I have a broad range of clients ranging from entry level to experienced. As I’ve now moved up in my own career (I’m a senior analyst at a hedge fund) I myself have a broader range of experiences that I can share with clients, hence my success rate with different levels of career experience has similarly broadened.

I just tried adding you on linkedin and it said I had to be a premium member for some reason. I’d contact you via email, but I certainly cant promise I would be a client. I am just doing a little research and gathering information right now and don’t want to waste your time.

That’s fine, and very polite of you, but it’s all good. You can email me and I’ll send you some details and you decide. Similarly, don’t consider it impolite if I don’t engage in ongoing Q&A. Some people try to poach free advice from me without any intent to enlist my services, and all I really care to say is that it’s not really worth trying.