best education to advanced in corporate finance

I’m now a financial/business analyst. Here are my choices for the next 5 years.

1. Get a CPA license

2. Go to a sub-par MBA program for 35k

3. Go to a tier 2 MBA program (Something in the top 50, but not top 20) for 50k

4. Try for a tier 1 MBA program, and take out a loan for 100k to do it

What should I do? In answering, plz consider

A) What will get the most attention from future employers

B) What will help the most in terms of relevant technical knowledge. For example, are a lot of the MBA classes going to be pointless?

C) Likely ROI - I don’t think having an MBA from a tier 1 is necessary for becoming a corporate finance manager. I would think that’s more for CFOs, but you tell me.

Some kind of designation will be helpful (CPA, CFA, whatever), but a top 2 MBA to be a corporate manager is way overkill. Many here will tell you without a top 2 MBA, you’ll be a paper pusher for life. However, if you look at the list of successful folks here, you’ll find many of us hacksaw types. Work hard, impress the top brass, most importantly deliver value. If you deliver value, you’ll succeed. If you chase certificates, you’ll just waste money.

Now if you’re looking to switch careers or what not, thats a different story but I don’t think that’s what you’re saying, you’re just looking for a promotion.

top 2? kist tp be clear, tier 1 generally = top 20?

to demand top 2 would be pretty rigid and obnoxious

I’m thinking a tier 2 mba

no i’m not chasing certifications, I’m doing this because I just did a career switch and feel that an MBA-finance would teach me more about corporate finance. Problem is, I’m afraid that it will be a waste of time in part because of “fluff” classes

From what I gather, a tier 2 mba (top 50 program) will cost 60 grand?

Just work hard kiddo. You already got your foot in the door and now you need to drink the company kool aid. Brush up on your golf swing and public speaking if you really want to advance now.

Get an MBA if they’ll pay for it, otherwise don’t bother. The CFA will be enough.

@mlwl

Bulls eye! Best recipe for success from where you are. Complete the CFA program as early as you can (i.e passing in least no. of attempts). That too will require a lot of hard work and discipline (if in doubt check some of the recent ‘after result’ threads in Level 3 forum!)