Engineer with level 1 CFA cleared, hireable?

Hello All,

I am a project engineer working in an oil and gas company. I want to change careers to equity research or similar fields.

I registered for the December level 1 exam and want to start applying for financial positions after passing.

Do you think I will be considered for any entry positions or just get overlooked because of no experience?

What can i do to increase my chances?

your best chance is to go into an ER role in energy as a junior associate. I would target those positions. Your chances of getting into other sectors are not good

That’s what was worrying me. I’ve already registered for level 1, so no backing up now.

After passing level 1, I’ll start applying for junior equity research positions, and hopefully I will be able to prove my worth somehow.

The other problem is that I live and work halfway around the world, in Dubai to be exact. Financial positions here are less than in the US and unemployment is high, which lower my chances.

Thanks Itera!

Agreed ^ Also, Treasury depts are known for hiring engineers, but I think you might need to show for it with a level II candidacy at least. On another note, I now a lof of engineers who shifted to treasury units at banks without carrying any qualifications (except passing series 7 maybe).

Try networking with some of the Fund Managers in Dubai as well. There’s a bigger networking culture in Dubai than in the likes of London, so people tend to be more receptive to invites for a chat over a coffee.

Linkedin could be really helpful for getting names…

There’s no reason to wait until you have passed level 1 to start applying. Sure, passing a CFA level helps, but your work experience helps much more, and you DO have applicable experience to ER (admittedly only in one sector) that could get you an interview. Signing up for the CFA obviously signals nothing other than willingness to pay money and take an exam, but I don’t think you should wait until February because I doubt many people will interview you because you passed the exam by itself either. You have the bigger portion already, which is relevant work experience for a specific sector. You should just use your CFA studies to help you for interviews etc. At the end of the day you are looking to get into a specific sector, and if you see a position open up, you shouldnt skip applying solely because you didn’t pass L1 yet.