Equity Trader Job / Need advice

Hi All,

Just passed CFA L2. I have been offered a job for as equity trader. Does this ultimately lead to Portfolio Manager / Fund Manager ranks.

Best regards,

Shirwany

congrats.

and generally no.

This.

but i heard that many started their job with equity trader then moved to research and ultimately landed as PM

what say you?

So what? Just because you “heard” it somewhere doesnt mean if you become an equity trader then “ultimately” you can land as a PM…a janitor can land as a PM if he wants to, doesnt mean he will…read carefully, the response says GENERALLY no, because its trading…youre someones monkey making your money off of the spread…thats cool and all but youre not learning how to manage money.

What say you now?

I also heard that if you believe Santa is real, he will be.

It could lead to a PM role, but probably not. Incidentally, this is also true for analysts. There are far more analysts than there are PMs and they can’t all become PMs.

I’m in complete agreement here that generally, that’s not the path. I am also laughing a bit because the one PM I know on a personal level got started as a fixed income trader. I still haven’t figured out how the hell he got from A to B to C in his career, but that’s a different story entirely.

I feel like that describes many people’s careers.

No. 2 different paths.

I started as a trader and have recently moved into ER, so it is possible. Takes hustle though.

people also win the powerball lottery, so that’s possible too.

would much rather have had that happen. maybe i should get a ticket…?

I wonder what the ratio of powerball winners to BSD PMs is. There might be 3,000 powerball winners alive today. Are there 3,000 BSD PMs in the US?