CFA Level 1 = Job?

sorry thought i post here because it seems more active!. Then General Discussion.

(dont know how to delete pervious thread)

Quick Question on my scenerio.

I just graduated with economics 2.3 GPA, no xperince nor internships., i’m not stupid, i’ve taken math up to calc 2. But i just got lazy and lost with hope once i found out my college was complete garbage in terms of job recuirtment in finance and everythin else (CUNY college, not even on list of schools to pick from on CFA, had to pick “other” Lol). If i pass cfa level 1, do you think i can break into entry level job in finance?. Doesn’t have to be top of the line, it can be any Entry-Anaylst Job, heck i take it even if it was in middle of nowhere (Kansas).

I seriously doubt this is a real post but I will just come out and say it, no, CFA 1 is not going to help you get past your GPA and “other” college). Analyst jobs are extremely competitive, and while it would be possible out of CUNY, it would be difficult even with competitive stats.

I moved it from the Level I forum.

I think that it’s real.

well OP, can you demonstrate a passion for finance?

See my man jeremy king and see his killer cover letter and resume here:

http://wisconsincheesefactory.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/the-only-resume-you-need-to-see.pdf

I mean lets just be real…2.3 GPA…aspiring for CFA L1…possibly unaccredited school??? The answer is a simple no. The 2.3 GPA kills you no matter what you do…maybe go back to undergrad? Sorry bro.

I’m not really sure your 2.3 gpa and general lack of experience are going to become BSD material as soon as you cross the Kansas state line.

As I have said before, if CFA Level 1 is supposed to be equivalent to a bachelor in finance, why can someone that passes level 1 not be eligible for the same jobs as someone with a bachelor in finance?

Because a lot of schmoes can pass CFA L1…and who told you it was equivalent to a bachelor in finance? Maybe the amount of material…but going to school for 4 years implies more than just reading books and taking 1 exam…(im not a finance major so I’m not defending it). And you didnt read the whole post…he has a 2.3 GPA…CFA L1 is not going to change that. There are PLENTY of people with CFA L1 so thats not going to differentiate him…and getting an interview is about differentiating yourself…thats why CFA L1 does not suddenly imply “Oh im gonna get a real finance job”…it has nothing to do with your silly argument above.

A lot of schmoes can get finance degrees too. Former Trader and others have said that. There are plenty of people with finance degrees too.

your avg schmo finance degree is hacksaw. What comes with a top degree is the network and brand name that comes with it.

Top tier university graduate > passing L1

lol that must be a joke right?

i’m not aim-ing for goldman or JP, all i’m wondering is whether CFA level 1 would help me land a INTERVIEW (not a job sorry to clarify) for entry - level analyst position even in a small unknown firm.

If you know someone who works there then maybe. Youre best bet now is network. The 2.3 gpa is really an automatic filter to the no list…even in a small unknown firm.

For new hires, 2.3 gpa is already way below the cut off for HR filters. and if you decide to exclude the gpa entirely, you’re auto-eliminated anyway.

So basically so it is true that if you don’t list your GPA on Resume you automatically get filtered out?

well i do have a Mentor! that has good networks, long story short, met him while i was doin NYC cab as a student. anyway he was the one who reccomended me to take the CFA level 1, that way then he can start introducing me to some of his “Friends” and well from there i guess i’ll interview for somethin

Yep, itera speaks troof. Coming from undergrad, I had >3.5 GPA and a Finance degree and didn’t even get interviews because I was coming from a non-target school.

I passed L1 the following year, and while I got an interview or two after that, it still didn’t lead to any jobs.

Yes. Unless I’m looking for an experienced hire with many years of experience, then I care much less about your GPA from 5+years ago

yeah but did you have any internships? or any sort of experince?. also what did you do to land a job eventually then?

What GPA are you willing to accept for college grads? And how many hires do you do per year?

Itera, you should resolve AF’s Vandelay Industries problem by hiring him. He can be the Wimp Lo of your office: “We purposely trained him wrong, as a joke.”

[quote=“itera”]

So basically so it is true that if you don’t list your GPA on Resume you automatically get filtered out?

so what would you reccomend to improve the Resume. Also do you have any tips or guides on how to make the resume appleaing for a anaylst job?