I have an interview with Fitch tomorrow. What should I go in knowing?

It’s an executive assistant position. It’s not glamorous, but until I pass the CFA I’m not going to be able to do analysis on anything but a cursory level.

Regardless, I’d like to go in there armed with more than my CFA knowledge to make a good impression. Unfortunately, I got the interview yesterday so I haven’t had a lot of time to prepare. Besides the basics (like their website and Wikipedia) what should I know about their business, the industry in general, etc?

Thanks!

Executive Assiistant? Like a PA/Secretary??

Can you clarify what the role is and people might be able to help you more…

executive assistant? you’ll probably be asked if you’re good at booking flights, keeping a schedule, making coffee

Definitely be sure to go in knowing that Fitch is a rating agency.

CFA = EA qualification now? Damn things are bad down south.

Key skills: Inserting graphs into Powerpoint presentations. The ability to chat with other EAs in the firm to build relationships to get me onto other folk’s calendars when needed. Filling out random HR forms for the boss.

Also, screening calls is a key skill for an EA. Previous EA was a pro at this. Undervalued skill.

This full package is actually pretty hard to find. The sad part is, an EA here makes about as much in base as an ER analyst. Perhaps that’s just my inflated market.

Know that Fitch is premier rater of insurance companies.

That’s true in a lot of places, but ceiling is much lower for EA/Secretary/Receptionist. I have a friend whose girl is a Secretary for some fancy media company, she makes about 50k GBP per annum, but her salary has plateaued and she is unlikely to see any significant increases in the future.

FWIW, Executive Assistant can have different meanings. In my former company, most EAs were managing directors who worked as seconds to the C-suite folk and were being groomed to head up business units or smaller regional offices. The people who took phone calls and such were called Personal Assistants.

From a country CEO’s profile:

Appointed to the Board on 1 October 2013. He joined the Bank in 1997. Previously he was Executive Director of Retail Banking in Ghana and Regional Head of Banks for Transaction Banking (Africa) in Johannesburg. He also worked in Hong Kong as Executive Assistant to the CEO and as Head of Operational Excellence, Group Technology (GTO)

Of course, I wasn’t trying to imply its a better career. Just that the base salaries are surprisingly high for a low skill position. That said, we need jobs for liberal arts graduates…

Maybe I’m old fashioned, but don’t you think this was cutting it close in terms of prepping?

I was only given a day and a half to prepare.

So how’d it go champ? Is this an EA secretary Mad men job? Or is this junior executive being groomed for the corner office job?