Execution Trader?

I had an interview yesterday and didn’t know what I was going in for (someone set it up for me). At the interview they described the team as a middle market institutional sales team that resides within PWM. The duties would include listening to the daily equity research call, taking notes, cross refrencing with the client’s interest in different sectors and calling them to execute trades on their behalf. It would also include getting them access to syndicate, secondary offerings and in house research reports. I have never even considered doing something trading before. Is this a pretty common job description? How is this different from institutional S&T?

The role is opening because the previous person is moving to an in house hedge fund to work as a trader.

Sounds kind of similar to what I used to do.

Different from institutional trading in the sense that your trades will be much smaller in size than an institutional shop.

What do you do now JBrown?

Quantitative research analyst. My experience as an execution trader helped me for sure, but alone was not enough to land the position.

What type of exit opportunities exist? Is this skill set useful throughout a career?

Exit opportunities should point to a portfolio manager role within PWM. Is the skillset useful throughout a career? Yes, if you use it as a foundation to move into higher roles.

are you kidding? execution trader to PM ? not even remotely close

Itera, what type of opportunities would someone go to from that?

Not mutual fund PM, PM for separately managed accounts within private wealth management. Not kidding, it’s a well established path here.

Hmm. It does sound like a sales trader kind of role. However, in PWM, is the business really driven by commissions? If not, perhaps it is different from what I know of sales trading on the institutional side.

In terms of exit opportunities, the fact that the previous person in that job changed roles should indicate that the position is relevant to some kind of lateral transfers…