Career Development

Hi,

I am new to this forum and seeking some career advice. I came here becauase I have found a lot of post to be helpful. Some quick background: I graduated this past May (average business school) with a degree in finance. I have had an internship in the wealth management division of a medium sized bank and an internship at an endowment fund for equity research (analyzing small and mid cap stocks). My first real job post college is in operations for one of the largest hedge fund administrative firm. I have begun studying for my CFA L1 and very confident I will pass.

Believe it or not my career goals are not to stay in operations forever, crazy I know. I would like to transfer to the research/analysis side and eventually be a PM. After my internships I know that is what I would like to do. People I networked with while at school/interning (a very strong skill I developed in college) were mainly PMs. They all recommended I get a CFA L1, get my feet wet in the real world, gather a few connections at work, and then try and transfer. Any advice on steps I should take in my career to obtain those goals (positions/firms I should target)? Timelines along the way as well?

I appreciate the help. Thanks

how average a bschool are we talking? and what was your gpa?

Large stateschool. My gpa was high. Graduated Magna Cum

What a bizarre way to shorten that.

^ too much fappening

Sorry. 3.75 with Magna Cum Laude Honors. Didn’t think that bizarre. Thought most people on this site would be above a sexual joke and understand the Latin Honors system

For someone who boasts of his networking prowess, you clearly have a lot to learn. Networking is 30% who you know and 70% masturbation jokes.

LOL

I do have strong networking skills and those connections have been remarkably helpful so far in my career. I came here to compare advice I have been given by said connectinos and people on this forum who seem to also be knowledgable. While I appreciate the humor (the 30/70 joke was good I’ll give you that), please only post serious comments going further. AnalystForum is not my online destination for daily humor.

Daniel White, you need a hoe in your life.

“Magna cum” sounds less like a master networker and more like a mass debater.

Lol. Stud Muffin +1

Daniel White, I think you need a slampiece more than a job. Lighten up, man.

What kind of “great networking” are you doing with a personality like that?

Pot, meet kettle.

^ I dont claim to be a good networker

Nonsense–you’re clearly a summa cum networker.

^ On second thought, maybe just a cum networker.

I wasn’t inferring that you were a good networker… I was more or less pointing out how ridiculous it is that you were being critical of someone else’s perceived “personality issues”

^ But I am not the one bragging about it. I realize I need to improve. It would be different If I was trying to imply I was great

… ROFL