Masters Degree - Instructor at Local CC or Hacksaw University?

I’m hoping for some feedback from people who may have done this. I have always thought that later in my career I would like to be an instructor in entry level finance or investment classes in the evening. I have passed all of the CFA exams, and I work (and will likely have a primary career) in wealth management. I have a “hacksaw” (as you guys would say) undergraduate degree in business. I’m led to believe that one needs an applicable masters degree to get this kind of job.

For those who might have already done something like this my questions are :

a. What would be the best type of graduate degree for this purpose (I expect it to have only a minor effect on advancement in my primary career)? A professional M.S. Finance? An MBA?

b. Have you found this to be rewarding, or did it not turn out as expected?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

I know many that have done it

Pros- not many hours, self autonomy

Cons- stiff pay ceiling and gets old pretty fast.

I think its a better route for an older guy looking to make some side money and something to do at the end of his career.

Tons of hours!

^ not really at the community college/hacksaw level. You dont have to do any research or anything you just show up to teach and leave. If you teach 4 classes, which is a pretty big amount, it’s only like 25 hours a week, tops.

Plus you get the chance to teach ex cons that depend on you to stay out of prison.

Dude. You’re smoking crack. I taught two adjunct courses and found it’s easily 3 to 4 hours of prep, grading, student inquiries, and school red tape for each hour of teaching.

Yup, I passed that guy, frankly because I was scared of him.

Just show up and teach then leave hey. This Vandy sure has a solid grasp on how things run.

^ you can grade the exams while they are taking the exams as they are turned in. The preparing you speak of may take place your first couple semesters, but soon no preparing is needed. You just see what the topic for the day is and talk about it. You may give one written assignment per semester, which yeah, may require some grading hours. As for students asking questions, rarely happens. At community colleges youre lucky to get someone to answer a question when you pose it to the room, much less want hours of solo-instruction after class.

^ No. Amazing, the hacksaw MBA student is now an expert at adjunct instructing. I’ve done it two semesters kiddo. Lots of overhead that you don’t foresee nor plan for.

Yo, OP, I’ll give you the straight talk.

For those who might have already done something like this my questions are :

a. What would be the best type of graduate degree for this purpose (I expect it to have only a minor effect on advancement in my primary career)? A professional M.S. Finance? An MBA? This is a big depends. You could get by on the CFA at some schools. Both times I’ve done it I saw in so many words in the posting, "Masters or equivilant experience."

b. Have you found this to be rewarding, or did it not turn out as expected? It’s ok. I enjoyed the teaching part. But the prepwork, grading, attendance keeping, office hours, university workshops, and student inquiries got old in a hurry. Also, when you’re instructing at a hacksaw establishment, you’ll get the bottom of the barrel student body who love to not do their work, give every excuse in the world, and overall just want to get a grade without any applicable knowledge. I may do it again, but at the moment I just don’t have the freetime. I’d say give it a shot and see what happens. I will also warn you that I got paid a whoppin $500/credit both times I did it. So you really do it as a hobby, not for income.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

I have had family members that did it for over 10 years at the undegraduate and graduate level. Im not just making stuff up. Like I said, after a few semesters, the overhead goes down once you get comfortable and have a routine.