"talk the talk"

From someone who does not work in the investment industry now, I am worried that not being able to “talk the talk” might hamper me from making an industry switch.

I’ve read the articles over at M&I and they have been a big help. Are there any other good resources or primers I could read to learn the things I would need to know that I cant learn from my CFAI books or reading online?

i’ve got a friend that is a bond trader that has agreed to come and let me watch him do his thing so I think that will help, but I am not sure how much.

goal is to get into equity research.

Please read my articles on M&I if you haven’t already done so - I think you’d find them very helpful.

Getting Into Equity Research – www.mergersandinquisitions.com/equity-research-recruiting

Getting Into Hedge Funds – http://www.mergersandinquisitions.com/hedge-fund-case-studies-part-1-overview/

I might be taking your comment out of context, but it seems like “talking the talk” should be a function of having experience and education related to equity research, not some gimmicky approach based on buzz words. If you know what you are talking about because you are prepared for any interviews you get, you will do fine and be ahead of most candidates.

As a side note, I don’t think you really “talk the talk” until you have 5-10 years of good experience and then it varies widely across the industry. I know people who run the exact same strategy I run and have an entirely different vocabulary to describe what they do. When we compare notes I know what they are saying but it sounds like a different dialect of the same language.

yes, the articles are fantastic, thanks

I was afraid my first post wasnt very clear. It is experience that I lack, which is what im worried about. maybe i am overthinking it

the big shots use a lot of F’s and S’s all throughout day. and the general rule is that you must find a way to use ‘models and bottles’ at least once a day