Just another guy looking for a way into finance

Hello all. Long time lurker, first time poster. I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on available positions for someone like myself.

In 2013 I graudated from a decent school (ranked in the lower 30’s) with a BA in Economics and have since been working in real estate (not my desire, but my working experience is geared towards it.) Since then I have moved to NYC and have passed level 1 and I am looking to take level 2 in June. I’m leaning towards eventually becoming something on the equity research side (Hedge fund, portfolio manager, etc) but pretty much everything in the CFA curricululm interests me so I’m not ruling anything out.

My quesion is, what are the best “Entry Level” positions to look for? I’d like to get the 4 years of experience ticking so I can get my designation sooner rather than later. Thank you in advanced for the advice.

what have you been doing in real estate? bec there will be a big difference between securitizing loans vs realtor.

Nothing really finance orientated. I worked for a home inspector during college and now I run the leasing process for two builings in Manhattan. Creating leases, advertising the apartments, doing the paperwork, etc…

same here. would like to know the answer as well. thanks for posting!

Well we aren’t getting much love, that’s for sure…

I’d advise if I could. There are many varied ways into investments. I think peeps closer to NYC than me could provide insight.

If I lived in NYC, hooking some guys up with reasonably priced, no broker fee apartments would create a lot of goodwill!

It’s funny you say that beause I have a choice to make within the next 2-3 days. I just got a job offer from a media/PR company helping them with an account they have with a big bank. From the job description it sounds like I’ll be doing a lot of work organizng their excel time sheets and I won’t be involved in any business plan formulation.

My dilema is to either take the job or stay where I am and start networking harder…My current job also allows me a LOT of time to study for the CFA during work.

Try to move to a finance real estate position after passing L2 of the CFA. Media / PR will do nothing for you if you want to work in finance.

+1

realize most of us are biased towards the cfa. also from my own experience, having free time to study for the CFA especially during work is invaluable

I agree that the new job offer isn’t going to get you very far. Unless it’s much more $$ and you are in a cash crunch, I’d stay put. I would start attending NYSSA events and meet as many people as you can. Explaining your background, especially your education and CFA endeavors, may open some doors. Understand first, though, that your first finance job might not be in equity research, but hopefully it will get you one step closer to that goal.