Recruiter contacted me to forward job ad to people "in my network"

Maybe I’m reading too much into this but this is sort of rude, no? I’ve had guys call me up and pitch me the same thing too e.g., they’re hiring for X and would I know anybody interested? I’m all for helping out friends but this rubs me the wrong way. I’ll do the leg work and the recruiter collects their fee. Maybe I’m reading too much into things? Thoughts?

If a pal of mine is looking for a job, I do them both a favor. Otherwise I politely decline and close with ‘keep in touch, and let me know if I can ever be of assistance to you.’

Ask them if they will split the commission with you if you help close a candidate.

^ This.

+1

lol i would not trust a recruiter ever. they will lie their way and never pay u anything.

They would never say yes but sometimes you just gotta mess with people lol

+2.

They are just being lazy, hoping you would do their work for them.

Used car salesman > recruiter.

It’s definitely somewhat intrusive but there’s no drawback for them to ask - worse thing that can happen to them is that you say no, and best thing is that you help them get a lead and they get paid.

I get requests like this all the time, and usually the first thing I ask them is why I should feel comfortable about connecting them with other contacts whom I personally know and whose time I respect, and then secondly what’s in it for me.

If they can’t answer either of these questions well, I simply just move on with my life. Way too many people out there in this world that are purely out for themselves…if there’s no quid pro quo for me, I’m out.

I get forward requests like 3x a week. just ignore

I’ve often wondered if this is an indirect way of asking you if you are interested in the position. Not sure why they wouldn’t feel able just to come out and say that, but I’ve often gotten that vibe.

If I know someone that could be interested in the job, then I forward it along. My friends usually thank me for thinking of them. I don’t see any downside in this.

I had a recruiter contact me asking if I was interested in a position. I declined and he then asked me if I knew anyone that would be interested. I suggested the position to a friend and gave to him the recruiters info to contact if he was interested.

It hardly took any time for me to connect the two, and why burn a bridge? Even if the recruiter is only looking for his fee and doesn’t give two sh*ts about me, he has my resume on hand, and it may or may not land me a job one day. If not, I have lost nothing.

If it becomes a problem like it is for Itera, I would probably start to ask for a cut.

Usually it’s rookie recruiters.

Yah, that happens frequently

That’s a good point. Most people are thinking (including me): “It’s a recruiter, well, f-k them, that unreliable POS.” But if you have a friend who is interested in the job, why wouldn’t you do your best to hook them into it.

Yes, recruiters are fantastically unreliable, but a chance at something good is better than no chance at something good. And most friends are just happy you were thinking of them, even if the position isn’t a perfect fit.

What’s even better than having a friend? Having a friend that owes you a favor!