Negotiation - Portfolio Analyst Entry Level

Hi all,

I will be negotiating my offer for an entry level portfolio analyst position tomorrow. Does anyone have an idea of what the average compensation range is for this position? Base + bonus?

Thanks.

I don’t know the range of comp for that position but along with other entry level candidates, you have virtually no negotiating power. Sorry to be a downer but that is the reality.

Teach a man to fish. . .

http://www.glassdoor.com

dude you have to be way more specific. Location? size/ reputation of company? details on role?

I’ve seen “portfolio analyst” in both front office and back office.

Agreed. Portfolio Analyst is very vague. What country? What type of company? What department?

Sorry for lack of detail. The company is located in the Bay Area (California). Their business is institutional asset management, with about $350 billion AUM. I would be working with the MBS/CMBS trading desk, learning strategies and trading.

id start with a mil, tell them to meet you half way

You should do your homework and find out people in similar roles in your location. It will pay off.

^Which is why he should use Glassdoor.

Still tough to gauge…post some of the description? Perhaps the duties? That will give people an idea of whether you’ll be engaged in trades or just providing support like reconciling orders or something.

aren’t most portfolio analysts about calculating P/L and some reconciliation? I don’t know maybe you will be doing some FO research. But if it is the former, in NYC wouldn’t you get around 65k?

^ 65K in NYC is equivalent to 30K elsewhere.

yeah I interviewed for a similiar portfolio analyst role earlier this year. Ended up turning it down - being that was just more BO stuff with no growth potential. But your case might be different. Starting for my role was 44K and that’s within the DC metro area.

The funniest post I’ve ever seen was a “portfolio analyst” job in “morgan stanley asset managemetn”. my friend thought it sounded good so he went.

after he got out, he’s like, “the position is in freaking back office in operations reconciling crap!”

LOL

In Minneapolis, the Investment Analyst and Portfolio Analyst jobs I see are typically $42-$50K. At the bigger banks, it’s going to be pure back office with plenty of upward mobility, just none to the front office. At some of the smaller outfits, the roles seem to be much more broad and could actually involve actual input or influence on investment decisions. Typically a mixture of performance, light research, administrative duties and general support for a PM or team of PM’s. I’ve known a couple people that went from a bigger bank in ops to a smaller outfit in these roles and they have gotten actual useful experience as opposed to the intense specialization of a back office role at a big firm. It’s a lateral move in pay, but they’re actually developing a useful skill to move forward with.

I’ve heard the same. They’re giving out fancy titles now for BO work.

Title inflation is rampant. At one of my company’s competitors… you can be a Senior Research Analyst with 1 or 2 years of experience. It’s laughable.

bad raise = better title lol

Sidoti hires kids straight out of school, gives them a 2 week crash course in finance and modeling, and literally calls them senior research analysts and gives them stock coverage. lol

thanks for the replies, i tried negotiating an extra 5k, didn’t happen.

but in the end, i am happy with my offer and the new job :slight_smile: