Public sector to private sector

Edit: Shortening for clarity.

I feel I can get some desirable buyside experience with a certain public sector job opportunity. So I am thinking about temporarily leaving the private sector. Do you think public sector work experience is easily dismissed by research shops?

How is a public sector company a small time company?

Oh okay. I misunderstood initially. So are you asking if you leaving the private sector to the public sector to go back to the private sector is a good career move?

im confused…

No idea what this thread is about…

Are you talking about getting a government job, but being taken seriously at real jobs once you leave?

What kind of public sector job is going to get you buyside experience? I could see you trying to get into a more financial role with the goal of enjoying regulatory capture or just enhanced experience, but not quite sure you’ll get job experience strictly applicable to buyside. It could work out, but why don’t you just try to go straight into buyside if that’s the goal?

Is OP referring to a job at a public fund, like a teacher pension or an endowment?

^If this is the case then no you wont get buyside experience…you wont be on the buyside…youll be an allocator to fund managers. Also, PIMCO is not demanding.

If you mean you’re going into diplomacy or the CIA or something to get language and international experience, then, yes, that would be applicable to a fair amound of buyside jobs. If you mean you are going to work for the Fed or the World Bank then that is applicable. If you are going to work in treasury at teh municipal level that is not applicable.

Need more specifics.

Some public funds, at least up here, are quite actively managed with their own PE groups and all. A job at OTPP or OMERS running a portfolio would be well reviewed in industry. I know a few people personally that have gone from such funds to private sector opportunities. The Caisse in Quebec, or even CPPIB are other examples. That may not be the case in the US, I really have no idea.

In Australia we have a the Future Fund which looks after the pension funds of public service employees. It generally enters into mandates with asset managers in the private sector but also allocates a portion of its FUM for direct investments into some strategies such as infrastructure, timberland and private equity. Investment professionals there are generally quite well regarded and with some having come from investment banking, asset management and private equity. I think it matters less whether the role is in the public/private sector (despite perception by some that public sector employees are less driven, commercially-minded) but rather it is important to consider what you will be doing in that role. That is if you are doing DD, structuring and executing PE deals for government nothing should prevent you from being capable of doing that for a private sector employer.