Post interview call - Big decision ahead - Need professional advice

Hey, I come back to you as I need more advice.

I got an interview in Private Wealth and it went very well (mostly based on soft skills). I got a call today. The HR told me I have made a good impression and instead of offering me an internship they would like to offer me a full time position (she said front office). I am a bit confused. I have no experience in Private Banking Wealth Management, and I had plans to do a master degree next september. But I have been struggling to find any internship or position and that may be a nice opportunity to enter this BB even though it is in eastern Europe.

Obvisouly, the manager will call me for a phone interview and give me details about the position. Should I mention I would prefer an internship or will it kill all my chances ? What questions should I ask him ? Should I sound ultra motivated even tough I still have doubts ? My goal is to work in Swizterland, should I consider this opportunity as a stepping stone or a possible trap (once I am located in Eastern europe will I still be able to relocate?).

Obvisouly I need help from more experienced people. Any help would be greatly appreciated !

Thanks

Does internship mean something else in Europe? In Canada, full time position = paid. Internship = unpaid work.

Internships in Europe can be paid. In this case, I applied for a paid internship and will probably get an offer for a full-time position (also paid).

is it jp marlin?

Nope, think more of one of the Swiss. Any piece of advice ?

I am confused. So you wanna ditch a a full time position as a private banker/wealth manager to do your masters!

Assuming you don’t like the job, and from what I understnad you knew what it was before going to the interview, why did you go then?

In my head, I was applying for a 5 month internship. Then, I would have pursued my MSc. I wasn’t planning to stay more than those five months in Eastern Europe. There are also personal factors that I must take into account. However, now that I put more tought into it, I realize it would be foolish not to take the position if I get an offer.

It is just hard to see which option will give me the best shot to find a job in Swizterland : the job in a BB in Eastern Europe or a prestigious MSc with a very good placement.

Yes, because your MSc will make all the difference!

Unless you really hate private banking and wealth management, then you should take up the offer and build up your experience whether it was in eastern Europe, Switzerland, or Banana Islands. The banking job market aint getting better anytime soon so take what you get with a smile.

Especially if it is in the Banana Islands.

Job > MSc.

I think you need a very clear understanding of what the job entails. If you’re going to be on the phone cold calling people all day, I’d take the MAster’s without any hesitation. If you’re doing more analysis or existing client work, I’d probably take the job.

aren’t “unpaid” internships illegal in canada?

There are grey areas.

Thank you all for your inputs. At the end, I got the internship but not the full time position. I guess the manager who called me didn’t have a good feeling about me after our conversation. He had an outdated CV with a wrong number and had to go trough the HR to contact me… I can only blame myself. Anyway, it would give me a professional experience in a dynamic country, and gives me the opportunity to start my MSc in September.

I just wanted to let you know. Thanks again!

^ I guess it’s good you still got the role. Work hard and prove him wrong. He might give you an offer down the road.

As a PWM veteran, I am very suspicious of full time “offers” in PWM. Does it even come with a real salary? You said you no experience in the industry.

I mean this with respect but I can’t imagine you bringing a positive value to the firm without any sales success.