What can you do if you do not agree on your year end appraisal?

I did more work and accomplished more than prior years, however my rating is lower than prior years. I believe there are some office politics here.

What are my options? Don’t really want it ruine my excellent records.

Get an offer from the shop down the street. That’s your best leverage.

Yes, you can get an offer or you can take it. Those are the two options, generally speaking.

Most people are relatively delusional about how much they contributed, but if you have a basis for feeling like you are being taken advantage of, then use what you accomplished to get in somewhere else. This is really only relevant for people with 5+ years of experience. With 5- your primary option is to STFU and take it. Sorry for the hard dose of reality but that’s how it really is.

Or third option: work harder next year. Really, if you boost your bosses bonus, you’ll get comped. Always keep that in mind. Few bosses worth working for will kill their golden goose. Make him money, you’ll do fine. If you’re making him money and not getting comped, then take the fact you make your boss money to another guy down the street that will take that. Lots of folks early in their careers mistake hard work for good results. While often there is a correlation, its not necessarily the same.

I know it’s definatley the time to look somewhere else.

However I would like to put my own comments in my year end review for whatever I do not agree on. So the review won’t be just one-sided.

Is this a good idea?

Agree with the above- hard work is usually appreciated but compensation is based on results. Assuming a standard level of efficiency and competence you will perform better than others if you work hard. Clearly there is no standard level though, so all your points should be results based if you want to get your point across.

Most appraisals give you the option to state your opinions, so do so- just don’t be disrespectful about it as people will just assume you’re bitter and immature. Instead get direct answers from your boss regarding what is expected, and keep that in mind going forward. If they any good at their job they should be providing this to you already.

If they can’t do this and you’re not getting anywhere, then try down the street.

Right, working hard does not necessarily produce good results, you have to work for the RIGHT person. There are office politics too.

I learned the hard way. You do not sign an appraisal that you think is totally off the mark. I was told that my signature implies I agree with it. I was able to add a personal statement and the prick that was responsible for the report ended up being told to take a walk. If the review does not reflect some degree of reality, I would take it up the chain. Be prepared for that strategy to backfire though. I had a relationship with those really in charge, which saved my ass. If you’re an unknown among the BSDs, STFU and take it sounds like good advice.

I’m having similar feelings as you, op. The feeling of being exploited, of knowing others are getting paid more than you for the work that you contributed, etc, the real issue is pride (at least this is the manner in which i view the situation). What you need to do is truly evaluate yourself leaving your emotions aside and see if that notion of explotation is true. I, myself, am undergoing this as we speak bc in the past (especially as a young pup) i would jumped to conclusions and storm into a MD’s office demanding a raise having the feeling of entitlement, one of which was not truly justified at that period.

As for what to do if it is true, its already been said, have a plan b offer from another company.

Geo – correct me if I’m wrong, but this was not the point that you were driving at.

The point here is that just because you’re putting a lot of effort in doesn’t mean that all your effort is generating the type of work that gets people paid. Oftentimes, misguided (albeit motivated) people early in their careers will mistake the quantity of work as a proxy for quality, which can be pretty misleading. In some jobs it is hard to quantify what your work is generating, but even in BO/MO roles you can typically get a feel for what gets folks paid…Though sometimes it is politics as you say – in which case you need to focus on the politics or get a new job!

^ Exactly. I’ve seen folks say things like “but I worked 60 hours a week, how can I have a bad review?” Really if you can say “project A delivered $xxx dollars and trade B made $xxx dollars,” and those dollars are significant, you’ll do fine. In the BO, find efficiency, improve process. “My idea saves the FO guys 10 hours per week, letting them focus in generating cash” is good too. But you need HARD numbers that mean something to the bottom line. Dollars speak above politics. Track your value for the firm in tangible results throughout the year and bring it to your review. You should know exactly your value. If the boss continues to put you down, attach your value analysis to the report. Or take that analysis down the street to a firm that will pay for your results. Now if you just push paper and get the minimum done, then don’t expect a bonus or good review. That’s for those that push results regardless of the role.

I am having similar concerns this year. While I did a lot of good work that was well recieved by clients, did a ton of shit well that my bosses don’t value, but is vitally important to our team, but I’m likely to only get meets expectations, which I don’t think I deserve. My boss is also planning to put some comments I don’t agree with, so I need to put a counter to it in there under “my comments” or get him to alter them.

In other news I’m planning to apply for a new job within the next couple weeks.

^ If you can demonstrate your value, and don’t get recognition, there is only one possible choice: the hacksaw. Ok kidding. But you should probably take those skills and contribution elsewhere. If you’re legitimately contributing and your boss doesn’t get it, he is unlikely to get it next year.

We are exactly in the same boat. I did some process improvements which added value to the team but abviosly are not appreciated. Even though I took on more responsibilities, I’m still criticized by not doing much different from last year which is what so called “the main reason” I didn’t get the same rating as last year. I did ask for more tasks even though I’m full loaded, but not only were not given any but also someone used it as an excuse to downgrade my rating.

I did get him to change some of the wording but not to my satisfaction. I plan to leave my own comments to defend myself.

I was thinking about talking to the department head and asking if there are better positions in the dept for me to bring my process improvement skills.

Do you guys think it’s a good idea?

Not really, probably dept head will rat you out. Sounds like it’s time for a nee job. Welcome to the struggle of early career, we have all been there.

I don’t see why,…Instead of leaving, I’'m willing to work something out with him by discussing my career path.

^ You’re naive. In theory that’s great but politically it’s not. Dept head has bigger fish to fry and will delegate this back to your boss. That’s why he hired your boss. Managers don’t like people going above their boss, especially when you are inferring that the guy he hired is unable to use your skillset properly. If there is a pattern of complaints, that’s one thing. If you’re the only one, that’s another. Either go to another shop or apply internally to other positions without making anyone look bad.

I really appreicate the insightful adivce.

What about the employee comments? Shall I add something to defend myself, since he downgraded me and I dont’ like some of his comments? just in case other department wants to look at my year end review…This is going on my records which is what I’m concerned about.

^ Absolutely add your $0.02, just don’t mention other people.

Got it. Thanks a lot!