How to ask for a raise?

Hello All,

Quick Backround: I’m an analyst at a consulting firm with over 2 years experience. Currently 2 people left the firm so workload is quite high right now. I have a great working relationship with my boss and the consultants see me as someone they want to keep developing. The analyst turnover has been steady the last 2 years but currently it’s at an all time worst. So natually I want to be compensated.

So I was planning to ask for a promotion & a raise, but I don’t know if it’s a bad idea or good idea to ask for one because I don’t know anyone who has asked for one before. I have a solid list of reasons prepared already. I always heard there was nothing wrong in asking for a raise and most companies won’t even promote you unless you ask.

I’m want to ask for a 25% raise which I don’t know if that’s wrong or not, but I would like to stay at the firm for at least the next 5 years and longer if things are still going well. I like what I do and I like where I work.

I was hoping to get some feedback from people who have asked for raises and from people who have given out raises.

thank you,

be prepared to leave if you dont get a raise

Given the time of year, I’d probably integrate it into your year end review conversation and if they don’t give you what you want, push back a little bit.

I personally always like to have an offer in hand before asking for a big raise because I have too much pride to stick around if ever my employer categorically rebuffs my demands. It will have long lasting effects and can even influence your future salary negociations with the firm if you come in the next day as if nothing happened with 0% raise.

if you are doing really well, and you know the company knows it, be bold with it. If they truly value your position, they will give you a bump .

oh damn well when you put it that way now i feel unprepared haha. but makes sense why others have also commented to be prepared to leave… sounds like asking for a big raise is something that not could but WILL alter the future timeline.

Seems to gel with what I have heard from several people who were “successful” in business (+$200K base pay, benefits, good work/life balance, etc.)… Either you’re moving up, or you’re moving out. Never stagnate.

Did you not have an end of year review? Any pay increases there?

Don’t mean to beat the dead horse here, but definately look at what leverage you have if they say no.

Got an better offer elsewhere? Work on projects that no one in the firm can do?

Understand your leverage, simply having your work load increased and having great performance is not good enough.

How bad would they be hurt if you left? A tickle? A punch in the face?

Know your hand, know theirs. Go all in with cautions.