Cold calling/emailing

For a new grad, would it be a wise idea to cold call/email boutique firms to ask if there is a chance they are looking for an assistant to an associate or portfolio manager? Or would this seem like a nuisance and not look good?

total cold callomg won’t do much for you, and many of them would run into compliance issues even if they were interested.

That’s how I got my current job. Emailed a guy I found on linkedin at the firm I wanted to work at, whom I had never met before or heard of though he taught at my alma mater, and he referred me to someone, who referred me to another, and five or so interviews later here I am.

I just said I’m very interested in this firm, can you tell me more, and he connected the dots for me. I was very lucky though (also I fit their profile well).

It’s a brutal job market out there for new grads. You got to do what you got to do to get yourself out there. With cold calling, you will get a lot of rejections and people hanging up on you mid sentence but all you need is one person saying yes.

How would you approach them on the call?

Ask if there is a position available, or ask if someone they know who needs an assistant? Or ask for career path advice in general?

Ask for 20 minutes of their time at their convenience and at the place of their choice for career path advice (I would recommend a lobby or food court or coffee shop 2 minutes away from where they work). They know exactly what your intentions are anyways but there are a few of them that will be willing to help if you catch them at a good time. Don’t do it during busy season or earnings season or market hours if you’re calling trading departments.

I’d rather get an email than a cold call. I’d respond to an email and I’d respect the effort and confidence required to reach out. It might even get someone an interview. But a call is annoying sometimes, I’m probably busy and I don’t necessarily have time to talk at that moment. Maybe older folks would prefer a call over an email. I don’t know.

Toronto area advice. Don’t cold call and ask for jobs.

Target people who work in roles you want/have similar background, email them for coffee and tell them you’re interested in so and so career path. Everyone who answers knows what you want, but asking them directly is just a huge turnoff. Your hit rate will be in the low teens but you only need one door to open.

It must be a generational thing but I see so many inquiries these days where people cold call and ask for jobs. If you’re going to cold call you’re better off telling someone what you bring to the table and how you can help them first, rather than effectively asking them to help you. The reason most cold calls don’t work is because the person on the other line doesn’t know you or how capable you are, and most cold callers do an inadequate job convincing the potential employer why they’re worth talking to. Many jobs aren’t posted or advertised simply because employers would otherwise be flooded with applicants where 99% of them would be more of a liability than an asset. So if you’re going to cold call, make sure you have your personal pitch cold and try to get a warm intro from a mutual connection.

in 2012, i saw a guy in early 20s right outside the freeway in office clothes holding a sign that said hire me. he was out of there in a couple weeks. success story maybe?

Probably not.

Cold Email with attached resume and explanation on how you plan to add value to firm. Ask for advice and thank the person in the email for taking the time to review. Don’t ask for coffee, I don’t know you so let the person you contact intiate that kind of sit down meeting. Also, don’t be weird.

Send an email first, with a short and to the point cover letter and resume. Only, if it doesn’t yield any results follow up with a call. Keep a very positive attitude, be polite and persistent. Do not rush things, leave at least a week for the person to respond.

Also, don’t stress about rejection. It will happen. You need to be at the right place at a right time, once you find this opportunity then it is your time to shine.