Need advice for finance career

[original post removed]

another difficulty you forgot was… needing a work visa. many companies don’t want to bother, so that’s a negative for you too.

Try getting a job internship (even unpaid) at a better company. There are hedge funds that have positions like that

yes, you will get depressed, but that’s what it is. a lot of trying , alot of failing, you just need 1 success to win.

A master’s may not do much for you. A good MBA is actually your best option to land a job.

+1. US employers are probably not familiar with your university, so it’s an unknown quantity for them. A good MBA program will have a formal recruiting structure in place and will give US employers a name that they know.

I’m not sure a top MBA is good short term solution… you need real job experience to make yourself a realistic job candidate post-MBA. Otherwise you’re in the shitty limbo of “MBA but no job experience”

Set a multi year plan to break into finance. You’re on a tough course so focus on getting yourself out there, work on your english and networking, and getting your financial situation sorted out first.

unpaid internship, how do these still exist! If the skills of this position are not going to be translated over to what you actually want to do, i cant see this position being valuable for you. Imo, 5 months is a long time for such a position and i would have expected them to offer you, at the very least, a part time position. If the tasks they are having you do are mundane and fairly easy, i would have a conversation asking their time line for compensation or what skills you would need to develop in order to get such a position.

on the bright side, young blood, you have your entire life to hone in on your skills. Be strategic with the position you take but dont sell yourself short (i.e working for free).

On a different note, how do unpaid internships still exist in this world?!

In the US, they’re actually generally illegal but it’s not really enforced, basically for the same reason you can’t pay someone less than minimum wage, and zero is less than $X an hour. The exceptions are like non profits, govt and a super narrow exception for private firms (your output doesn’t benefit the firm in any way, even excludes making photocopies).

Hi,

i was keen to know where did u get internships? i have 2 years work experience in India in derivatives trading. I also have work visa to work in US. Not able to get a job. Thinking if i could get some exposure in finance field here probably it will be easier to get job. Could u pls tell me how should i look for internships?

thanks

I still get jealous

Thank you all for your advice. I do have a green card so I won’t have a problem working in the US.

smiley

IB and solid exposures to deals and financial modelling.