Ops to Finance to Investment Opportunity??

Hi All,

I have been offered a job interview and I need some advice with regards to the opportunity.

I have been working for 7 months now in Middle Office Ops for a large global Custodian (which I hate). I am signed up to do the CFA L1 this June and have a Bachelors and a Masters as of last year.

I feel I am wasting my time working in fund admin and living off the hope of eventually becoming an investment manger with enough time, hard work and networking. So at the turn of the new year I decided that I was indeed wasting my time and began applying for other roles closer to the front end of things. My strategy was to get into an asset or investment management firm at any level (within reason) rather than applying direct to roles which I simply don’t have the experience for.

Now the interview I got is for a large asset manager/private bank yay! Although it is an Financial Assistant to the finance team and they did originally state that they would like some one perusing CFA but upon further inspection of a more detailed job desc they really would prefer someone looking for an accountancy qualification ACCA. So I am worried the role might pigeonhole me as an accountant. Although the opportunity to get inside this great firm may be too good to pass up, as it is obv easier to move up internally rather than externally.

So my question is simply this, should I pursue the job as the Financial Assistant or continue down the road of fund admin and chip away at my CFA to move on eventually?

Thanks in advance

I can’t provide any tips for the job you are interviewing for, but I would recommend moving out of fund admin ASAP. It’s a great work life balance in most cases and fantastic job security but it seems very rare to transfer from MO/BO to the front office. I am currently dealing with this situation.

Honestly, I would put the breaks on the CFA and focus on networking instead. Speak to friends and family and find a position that interests you. In the mean time, brush up on your interview skills. I recommend either going for the position or applying elsewhere, but don’t stay in fund admin while studying for CFA.

Hi man thanks for the feedback. I am going to go for that finance role. As I couldn’t be further from the action in my current role and at least I will be appling some financial principles rather than just taking numbers from one system and plugging them into another!

Financial Assistant sounds a bit odd to be honest, when I see that, I tend to think secretary booking flights and sorting paperwork. But if it’s a legitimate job, definitely go for it ,and definitely get out of Ops

Hi Itea,

Thanks for your response.

It is an assitant to the finance devision. See short description below:

“You will be required to provide support to the Finance team. It is a trainee position for an individual looking to further their accounting and finance skills. Prepare daily reporting for analysis and review.”

They are looking to support professional qualifications as well. So I see it more as a opportunity to get my foot through the door and eventually move up through the firm internally.

Anything would be better than Fund Admin towards your goal. Get the offer and take it.

Some AM have different staffing structures so you never know - if you do well in the assistant job they might put you in the next analyst opening. much better than trying to move in through FundAdmin.