Career advice needed - help!

My ultimate goal is to work in Equity Research and so I am not sure what route I could take now.

Hi All

I’ll cut straight to the point. My ultimate goal is to work in Equity Research and so I am not sure what route I could take.

I am currently due to complete my ACA this year, and have already passed L1 CFA and am planning on taking L2 in 2016. I have a non-finance related degree from one of the top UK universities.

I started off life at an accountancy firm (outside the Big Four but still a global firm) but moved into industry mid-way through my training contract. I am currently working in the Finance team of a large company in the FMCG industry in a Tax role.

Taking into account my work experience is of little relevance to an ER role I was wondering what routes I could to take achieve this. I have considered the following options and would like a bit more advice as to how to get to where I want to be.

1. MSC Finance/MBA

I would only consider these programs at top institutions. I am sceptical of the educational benefits but am aware that most students enter these programs as the prestige of certain schools may weigh in favourable with employers (I’m thinking Oxbridge/LBS/LSE). However, I am worried about taking on so much debt to pay for a course that my not necessarily get me to where I want to be

2. Middle/back office in a Bank and then work into ER

Not sure of the reality of this given the competitive market.

3. Move back to accounting firm and into Valuations/similar area and then on to ER.

Has anyone done this before and if so would you have any tips? Not keen on moving back into an accounting firm simply because my only 'role has been within tax and it would have to be a tax role to start…and I want to get out of this ASAP!

4. Continue in Industry but move to FPA/Corporate Development later

There is reality in my moving to a FPA role in 2-3 years and from here I understand I may be able to leverage my skills to go into Corporate Development and then possibly ER.

Appreciate any help as I am really lost!

your best bet is #1 and #4

#2 is a total joke, don’t bother.

Ban this loser