When (if ever) is it okay to say something negative about a previous/current employer

I read this article and it got me thinking: http://boss.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/03/20/why-its-sometimes-o-k-to-bad-mouth-an-old-boss/?_r=0

Let’s say you’re in a job interview and you have a whole host of legit reasons why you’re leaving your current job. Is it EVER okay to come out and just say it? Examples include:

1. you’re the victim of some sexual harassment or discrimination

2. non-competitive pay (peer companies paying 10-25% more for similar employees)

3. management plays favorites/won’t adhere to their objective performance metrics

4. management has not made good on a promise, such as promising a certain bonus or promotion.

5. management has asked you to do something out of bounds (asking you to stay until 11pm when the agreement was for everyone to leave at 6pm, or asking you to work a weekend when it’s not that kind of job)

6. the boss is a bully

7. any problem evidenced by a 90% turnover ratio

I ask because in private wealth management career, it was acceptable and even helpful to come out and explain why you wanted to leave. I went from an insurance giant to a financial planning operation. The people in financial planning think the insurance company jobs are a fucking joke when it comes to technical expertise and conflicts of interest. Me speaking openly about my reasons showed passion and critical thinking.

However, I am concerned that if I did that in corporate finance, it might come off as unappreciative, unproductive, and whiny.

I am also concerned that if I didn’t provide a solid and specific answer, it would come off as evasive or deceptive

Nobody likes a whiner.

I agree 100%, hence the thread. By the way, I was looking forward to a reply from you in particular.

Sandwich method

care to provide a realistic and believable narrative?

No it’s never okay. There are only a few reasons why people leave a job and multiple variations of those same few reasons and everyone knows it. There is no need to discuss what everyone already knows.

If you talk about your former employer in a negative light, it will be assumed you will do the same to them if you leave. Keep your interview positive and no thrashing former employers and colleagues.

^ Importantly, I’d want to hire positive people. No one wants a negative guy around. Someone else interviewing will be more positive then you if you whine, and he or she will get the job.

Overall, I’d agree keep away from negativity mostly because you don’t know what type of person you are talking to. Definitely stay away from litigation / discrimination / or sex abuse issues, but if there’s a well known history of super high turnover and unhappiness, I think that’s total legit to bring up. I’ve done it before and people generally understand it well.

Many people understand that even great employees can be hindered by a boss that’s a real dbag

How does this one work?

While I’m thankful for the many opportunities my employer has provided, I have found that the culture does not value hard work or going above and beyond. Luckily my boss has recognized me for these traits, but it is hard being surronded by peers who are just trying to get by.

If and only if there is negative press would I say something negative. Otherwise you tend to come off like a little bia.

**(**Bread)

(Meat)

Bread meat bread meat? That’s not a sandwich. You can’t end with meat.

open-faced sandwich

It’s not the “pizza method”, it’s the “sandwich method”. The whole point is to end on a half-assed compliment that no one believes.

It depends. I worked for a guy who is an incredible investor and a lousy person. Everyone who knows him knows he is a lousy person. Think Warren Buffett skill level but a complete jackass instead of a nice old man. It came up in every interview. I didn’t use that word, but I basically said, yeah, he’s a lousy person. It’s better than lying when people know you’re lying. Actually, mostly people wanted anecdotes of how lousy he is and some of the crazy shit that happened there. I had someone offer me $50 million no questions asked just because I worked there and was able to stay employed with this legendary investor-douchebag who fires everyone immediately. I turned that group down and went with someone else.

If you are talking to people who don’t know any of the personalities involved, you should lie and avoid saying anything negative. It’s situation specific.

Everyone knows breadless sandwhiches are the hot new thing among the anti-glutten crowd.

I would even go as far as to say they want people thinking positively on everything. I vividly remember 2 interviews in October 2007 where I was asked my thoughts on the global economy and I answered that I was extremely bearish. I sensed the vibe in the room completely change at that point. 6 months later (during very stressful times in the market and a month after Bear Stearns failed) I changed my strategy and lied through my teeth by stating I believed the economy would rebound very quickly and we had nothing to worry about. I received an offer from that employer.

Unless you’re interviewing for Bro’s fund, don’t get too down on the market.

Damn straight. I would fire anyone for expressing even a moderately bullish view of this market.

No, in reality I think we go sideways for a while and are stuck in a “stock picker’s market” which is probably the most annoying description possible of what we are in today. It’s not bullish. It’s not bearish. It’s kind of a zombie equity market right now.

Was this written as a joke?:slight_smile: That just came off as passive aggressive and narcissistic. Did anyone else feel that, or was that the point, that everyone knows it’s phony anyways?

" Oh poor me, I’m surrounded by lazy teammates and coworkers that don’t share my ambition. If only I wasn’t held back by these losers"

When someone said positive, I was thinking more like

“I’m looking for an environment with more competitive employees and that rewards hard work with XYZ”, xyz being bonus, stock options, oppurtunities to work on bigger things.

^ Don’t mention comp until asked.