been a month since interview...

it’s been about a month since my third round interview. reputable mm bank in er. i reached out with an email and was asked to stay patient for the next couple weeks. this is the third week…should I be nervous? i know they liked me and i left a great impression on everyone I met, but i’m worried about my fit as an associate as far as pairing me up with an analyst. would reaching out again be bothersome? there is a fine line between persistance and annoyance that i don’t want to cross

If they said 2 weeks and it’s been 3, then for sure followup. I think you are well in all fairness to ask

hang in there. the wait can drive people mad but at least if you get rejected you know that they took their time in making their decision which implies you were pretty close to landing the job. Good luck and hope you update with good news

I think many companies make the mistake of having an overly long hiring process. They should realize that qualified candidates will have other options (and will be applying to other firms) and that they will lose out on some candidates by dragging their feet too long.

^+1

In ER they take months to make a hire. It’s quite ridiculous the way they handle the process. I remember waiting 5 months to hear back one time on a final decision after getting immediate positive feedback

^did you get the role? I think the longer they wait to decide the less ones chances are, all else equal. Just feels like anyone in their right mind would jump on a candidate that is a perfect fit.

on a side note, i really don’t mind waiting, but don’t tell me you wanted to hire someone yesterday. can’t tell you how many times i’ve heard this preceeding loooong waits

The problem here is that you have not managed your hiring process well. You’re clearly the second or third choice, and have not provided a catalyst for the hiring manager to make a decision on you sooner. It’s not even that you aren’t the perfect fit for the job – the reality is, you just aren’t the perfect fit – but neither are the vast majority of candidates out there. Most people land the job because they are at least better than their competitors, have some good referrals, and most importantly, they have a catalyst that creates a sense of urgency for an employer to make a decision. You have not created a catalyst for yourself and thus your results have not been effective.

As a solution, you should do a better job “creating a market” for yourself, either in the form of landing other offers or other interviews that are progressing well, and indicate that to your employer. Just think to yourself, what would you be doing if you’d received other offers? You certainly wouldn’t be waiting around, as you currently are. Good candidates don’t wait.

Try putting yourself in a different mindset. Imagine if you had another offer - you would tell them that you’ve received another opportunity and need to make a decision in the next couple weeks, right? See where that takes you.

thanks for the advice numi. i very well may be second or third choice. i neglected to mention the person in charge of hiring took a 2 week vacation almost a week after my third round interview. this week will be that persons first week back - not sure if that factors in to dilute the sense of urgency. i’ve posted on another thread that i’ve had two heavyweight referrals that put me in front of the director & head before having a formal interview with the analysts & the associate director - so i think in the networking aspect i’m doing the right things.

i definitely agree with creating a sense of urgency and failing having a catalyst for a decision to be made. I think the reality is that i am not in a barganing position to do so. i have been very open with my current employer and recently received a nice internal promotion. ideally i’d like to hold off on outside job opportunities so i can throw everything i have at L2.

How do you suggest i create a catalyst and increase the sense of urgency? are you suggesting i reach out with an offer that is nonexistent? Is this bluff normally ethical & commonplace in landing a role? i’m < 2 years out of school and don’t have any experience in this process with which to judge

your advice is much appreciated numi

I would not bluff on having another offer in general, and certainly NOT if you are the #2 or #3 choice, bec the company will simply say ‘ok good luck to you. bye’

I believe what Numi is telling you is not to sit around waiting for this company to make its decision. You need to be proactive and don’t bluff with Hiring Manager.

I believe what Numi is telling you is not to sit around waiting for this company to make its decision. You need to be proactive and don’t bluff with Hiring Manager.

[/quote]

thanks

I would just hit the job market hard and line up other interviews and other opportunities to boost your confidence and ultimately hopefully have something to leverage with. As for bluffing, I’m not here to opine on other people’s morals but certainly it has worked for certain individuals. Worst case is that they say no to you and you find out sooner what they might have told you anyway. But finally I would add that by acting as your own catalyst you can elevate your market value and potentially become a #1 choice candidate, assuming you are a #2 or below right now. People always want something when it’s in demand and interest has been validated by other parties - just think to yourself, when was the last time you had a meal at an empty restaurant?

Thanks a lot Numi! your advice is much appreciated.

i reached out once more today and am getting an update on a call tomorrow - will update you all then

Good luck! I recently received an offer from one of the Big 4 after some time. Allegedly after I interviewed they did a hiring freeze until the budget was made. In dating and job interviewing, I refuse to speculate what’s going on in the other’s mind. Much less stress

da mad tiki, so in summary, lie your ass off and increase that BATNA son even though youre probably 4th or 5th down the line.

no big surprise here guys, I didn’t get the job. kind of sucks. on the bright side, they want to keep in touch (haha right), they want to keep introducing me to analysts and keep me close to mind for a future opening. not sure how to take this news but now i know i can focus on L2 with guns a blazing.

many tries, many failures. that’s the typical nature of job searching. best of luck to your L2 exam

thanks itera