Switching

So you did software work for many years, doing an MBA now where most grads get into retail banking, and you want to take CFA L1 and switch into Investment Banking?

In what capacity are you interested to work in retial banking?

Oh crap! This thread is even worst than peter griffin and chicken fight. Lol. Dont bother to reply.

Your quest is admirable, just be advised that hundreds of posters have asked his question here, so the responses you get will require you to have a thick skin. However, a thick skin is very useful in the finance world, so it’s not all bad.

http://www.menshealth.com/best-life/penis-size-shape-predicts-success

What types of Finance and Banking jobs are you specifically looking for?

Toronto is going to be a competitive job market for sure. You may be able to use your existing job experience to land a role with a big 4 firm (Deliotte etc…) in Consulting roles given your MBA and IT experience, and enrolment in the CFA program.

You’re a software developer interested in finance?

http://www.strategy-business.com/blog/The-Digitization-of-Financial-Services?gko=e7216

I was just going to say, there are plenty of jobs in finance where a background in IT can be useful, you can be an equity research analyst for software companies, you can be a business valuator and work in transactions advisory teams for audit firms, due dligence for M&A, etc.

You may not be a Portfolio Manager tomorrow, but if you keep your options open and your search wider, you can land a very good job potentially!

Good luck!

:slight_smile:

@Galli

Thanks for sharing this article. Article was great! I have seen a lot of automation and compliance changes implemented through IT.

You still have not answered this question. We need to know this before anyone can give you deep insight.

Saying you want to work in “finance and banking” is a meaningless broad statement.

MBA is the golden ticket to Finance wink

Typo in my previous comment… I was referring account manager or Financial advisor.

CFA is an overkill if you want to be a financial advisor in retail banking. Just do CSC, CPH, and the IIROC training course. Possibly CFP if you want to be get into retirement planning as well.

^+1

CFA + MBA all for the end of goal of becoming a financial advisor in retail banking is overkill. But I do not know your long term career plans so it might still be worthwhile for you.

Just complete your CSI courses and network (especially with graduates of your program who are in the field), the job your targeting isn’t that hard to get. But in Toronto it will be tricky without any retail banking experience or networks (You can’t just apply through the online job board and expect to get hired). Your in St. John’s? I would recommend getting a part-time job at a bank as a financial service rep, junior account manager, or heck even a teller. Customer service and sales experience is king in retail banking.

Also know what you’re getting yourself into, FA or AM in retail banking is a PURE sales job.

My creds on this matter: Worked in retail banking throughout my undergrad. I was an FA for TD