Why are more charterholders a bad thing?

I keep hearing about the dilution of the CFA brand because of all the people taking the tests…

Seems to me that it is a good thing. More people have high school diplomas than ever before. Makes it more crucial to have one.

Same with college degrees. It has become the standard and not having one puts you at a huge disadvantage.

Look at the CPA exam. There are over 650,000 of them and it is one of the most credible and respected professional designations anywhere

Not sure I agree that more = worse.

Someone could construct the toughest and most diabolical exam in the world, but if only one person passes, it isn’t going to be that crucial to pass, as there will be plenty of people that never passed the exam and are still successful.

you are totally missing the demand side of the equation.

high school -> tons of colleges to take them

CPA -> tons of jobs to take them

CFA -> very few ER/AM jobs, people far exceeding the # of jobs

**edit typo

^ I think you mean: the supply of people far exceeds the very few ER/AM jobs.

While that is true to an extent, the majority of people I come across in ER/AM jobs still are not charterholders. So we are very far from saturation point yet.

Actually, your observation supports my argument much more. the fact that so many charterholders do not hold ER/AM jobs, it could effectively imply we’ve already gone way past saturation, those people had to take tangential finance jobs because the few ER/AM jobs are taken.

Fair point, but I see it as more and more CFAs will then have to move to corporate finance, VC, investment banking, etc, which will result in the generally accepted notion of “bosses with the charter respect it more” and thus those other areas will feature an increase in demand for people with the charter.

I know i have noticed an uptick in ‘CFA preferred’ listings on corporate finance positions, even in just the last two years

the more people who try for the charter the better imo. as long as they keep the percentages that pass low and the rigor of the curicculum high. all is dandy. and i will respect anyone who has it. juss cuz its a beezy,

Agree with this, the smaller the propertion of people that have it, the less known it is, and the less liekly someone is to realize the difficulty of becoming a charterholder. Only those that have attempted will know.

^ good point. More people attempting means more people telling their friends about the really hard test they took and failed

More people failing doesn’t mean more charterholders.

Which is better: a) more people trying and succeeding, b) more people trying and failing?

#YouAreTheEnemy

#YouHelpTheNumberOfPassingIncrease

#BuyAmerican

/s

I would say ideally, more people trying, while maintaining the same percentage rates of pass/fail. Would lead to the best growth of the brand imo