Post-bac entry into Financial Analyst

What’s up guys, I’m looking to get out of the terrible world of sales and in to the hopefully less terrible world of banking. For real though, I love investing. I made the mistake of listening to my parents on what I should do for a career so here I am now.

Here’s my situation, I have a bachelors in something that means nothing (air traffic control) I was in the military, becasue of that and being in Illinois I have nearly unlimited funds for school as long as I attend a state sponsored institution. I want to get in to the MSF program at UIUC but currently lack the quant skills for the GMAT, the grades(3.0) and the degree. Should I just study for the GMAT or should I take a bunch of finance classes to get those grades up as well? Or should I just go for a CFA and skip biz school completly? I want to go to UIUC becasue I have zero connections in the industy and it’s also by far the best state-sponsored program. What route would be best for me? Keep in mind it will cost me nothing but time to go back to school.

Thanks in advance for any help!

If you already have a few years experience an MBA probably makes more sense than a masters.

Also by banking do you mean investment banking or commercial banking? Investment banking (or other top finance jobs) will probably need a top MBA.

Commercial banking (or other “regular” finance jobs) you might be able to get into with a “regular” MBA.

Well the best program I could go to for free would be UIUC. So I think I have to let the school decide ultimately where my career will take me. I have creeped on a few resumes of guys that hold CFA’s and the jobs that they hold are appealing to me. Mergers and aquisitions mostly.

Well given that it’s basically free, you might as well go for the MBA, especially if you hate your job now. MBA and CFA are not mutually exclusive, despite what some people may say, so maybe think about doing that in the mean time. Also you never know who might hire, theres no reason not to try and see if you can’t learn a bit about whatever job you want to try and going for it.