Books on Oil/Gas/Utilities

I’ve applied for an analyst role in corporate banking. Main duties are going to be analysis on O&G companies and preparation of credit submissions. It’s an entry level role, but I don’t have very much experience in the O&G sector. Looking for some books to read that give a rundown of the industry.

Im reading The Global Oil and Gas Industry: Management, Strategy, and Finance

by Inkpen and Moffett

the big rich :wink:

If you like history, there the prize by Daniel yurgain(sp?) is good. They made a documentary on pbs, that is available on YouTube, the ending is dated but the rest of it is awesome.

Appreciate the responses. Going to start off with ‘A profile of the Oil and Gas Industry’ by Linda Herkenhoff then switch to one of your suggestions

“Oil 101” was very well received a few years back FYI:

http://www.amazon.com/Oil-101-Morgan-Downey/dp/0982039204/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8

Good Luck with it all and enjoy!

^^^^Agree with this

Oil 101 is hands down the best book I’ve read on oil. Also, reading some of the biographies on some of the old wildcatter’s (e.g. H.L. Hunt) can be very entertaining and has some interesting insights into how the industry has matured over time. For technical matters though Oil 101 is the book to get.

^ Oil 101 is much more focused on the engineering/technical side than it is business part.

Global Oil and Gas Industry:management, strategy, and finance is a business book.

It really depends more on what the reader is wanting

I do oil and gas work on the debt side. Books are good for curiosity purposes, but aren’t going to be directly helpful specifically for that role. Some of the good books are technical and explain the stuff geologists and petroleum engineers do in simple terms, but this role isn’t going to directly cover that.

In that banking role, you’re going to be asked to analyze companies. So go straight to the source; companies’ investor relations pages. Look at their investor presentations, relevant sections from the 10-K’s, listen to conference calls, read financial statements. These companies are big in the industry and are great sources of info;

Exploration and Production; EOG Resources, Continental Resources, Pioneed Natural Resources. Obviously, Exxon, Chevron, BP, are very relevant integrated companies with big E&P business, but they are so big that they won’t provide the granularity that’ll help you learn the industry. The smaller independent E&P’s are better sources of info, in my opinion.

Oilfield Services: Schlumberger is a fantastic company and I believe they have transcripts attached to their investor presentations. Look at Halliburton, too.

Midstream: Spectra Energy, Kinder Morgan, Enterprise Products Partners. Spectra has great presentations in the supplemental info section of their presentations.

Refining: Valero Energy has a good “Refining 101” presentation on the investor relations page. Great intro to a complicated industry.

Look at their investor presentations and see what they are investing in and what factors are important to their businesses.

Books are good, but one thing with those books that have been around is they are focused on conventional oil and gas production, and not the new age unconventional stuff that has become more prevalent lately.

EDIT: as hpracing mentioned, The Prize is a fantastic piece of work done by a well respected guy in the industry. The book is crazy long but the PBS documentary is great. It won’t help you all that much for a banking job, but for those interested to see how oil has shaped the world…The Prize is it.

Saw this article today on Bloomberg news

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-08-07/the-seven-books-you-must-read-if-you-want-to-understand-oil

not sure about why the hell the inorganic chemistry book would help, someone clue me in. I’ve take nearly 20 hrs of inorganic and organic chemistry and don’t understand why that would be on there. Organic… Maybe