Request for advice regarding offer

Since the last advice I took from AF seemed to work well for me, I figured to give it another go.

Background: 5 yrs international finance at a corporate; recent charterholder; 2nd-year MBA at top 25 school

Current situation: received offer from institutional asset management firm I interned at this past summer. The offer matches the average salary from my program, but it comes with an early acceptance deadline. I would have to relocate (my wife and I, no kids); and my wife is okay with, but not thrilled about, moving.

My question: do I accept the position, or do I continue to use my 2nd year to try to find another offer? The city I currently live in was really tough finding an internship (so I moved away for the summer), but maybe it will be easier to find a full-time opportunity. I don’t want to miss out on a better offer by accepting so early, but it would also be nice to guarantee myself a buy-side position out of the program.

I know there are pros and cons, and that I ultimately have to go with my own gut and make the decision, but I’d love to hear anyone’s take on it.

Anyone?

Pretty hard for anyone to say without being familiar with the huge unknown of what your recruiting opportunites will be the remainder of the year

Pretty hard for anyone to say without being familiar with the huge unknown of what your recruiting opportunites will be the remainder of the year

Why can’t you accept the offer and continue to search for a better offer in the interim while you’re completing your second year? Always look out, and do what’s best, for you and yours… if you have to turn down offer #1 because you received a better/local offer… so be it. Am I missing something here?

I would take it. Do you really want to accept a 25-50% chance that you will not get a comparable offer? (numbers just made up).

Including myself, hence the difficult decision. Thanks though, at least I’m not totally insane

Take it if you think it represents a good upside opportunity.

I think the key factor at hand is simply to evaluate your school’s recruiting prospects. What are your chances of landing a better or comparable offer this fall?

Take it. Bird in the hand…on the buyside.