Interview for Underqualified Job

I am scheduled for an interview next week through a recruiter. Upon further research, it seems like the job will be a heavily quantitative role based on my preliminary research of the group. I believe this is out of my league. Should I just go to the interview with my head up and just see how it plays out?

Definitely. You never can tell what’s going to happen in the world of interviewing. The ones you think went awfully, end up in offers, and ones you thought went great end up in rejection. What’s the worst that could happen? If you aren’t qualified, the company will just be mad at the recruiter, not you. Obviously they think you have something going for you.

And maybe they have other roles that if they like you, may be presented

Thanks, you’re right. The recruiter didn’t really provide me much information.

Been in your shoes kiddo. Sat in some interview chairs in nonhacksaw firms for roles far beyond my capability based on an enthusiastic recruiter/hr rep. I once heard an MD just sigh in frustration as he read my resume for the first time wondering wtf I’m doing there.

Be yourself and be honest. Explain what you have done and what you are capable of doing. If the role is a stretch, then it is what it is. Worst case is you’ll be in the same chair you are now typing stuff like this on AF. Best case is they’ll see the potential in you and give you a nicer chair with ample room for your BSD and fatter wallet…where you can still type this stuff on AF.

all the qualifications in the job description is for the IDEAL candidate. most likely they never find the IDEAL candidate so if you are weak in some areas, make sure you emphasize your strengths in the other areas.

i would say 95% of the time the person we hire doesnt have all the qualifications but is very good in most

No one is fully qualified for a new job. How many years of experience did Barry have being President of the US?

Still type this stuff on AF… Give this man a cookie!