OPS

Hello all - I think some of you may know me. I am in ops at a HF. But recently I have been doing some modeling and research on equity and corp debts. Asking questions and talking daily with PM and traders. I also do operations work but it is minimal.

I would like to go into FO doing research. Is the work I am currently doing suffice to help me launch my career to FO job in couple years? Do you guys think PT mba will be helpful in my case or just focus on my research skills and modeling skills (currently at noobish levels).

Or is this just one of those short gigs where even 2 years later I will be end up looking for ops positions (if I do decide to move).

don’t do the PT MBA, if you really want to make the jump, you got to make the big leap.

Wait so you are in Ops but you only do minimal operations work? Can you just say you are in research?

Do people really know if you do the PT MBA? I get why it’s shunned but is it typically a completly different program?

I guess I can. Most of the operations is done by other ops people. But my question is not the title but in the future can employers really see me as research and not ops person who happen to do some research.

I guess i can do NYU PT…not too excited about this school. Not a BIG leap itera is talking about.

Sup Cuz. While an MBA can help, I would simply get your hustle on. Keep doing what you are doing, networking, reading/writing reports, and improving your accounting/Excel skills. An analyst can never know too much accounting and Excel.

It’s hard, it’s discouraging, and it can be depressing. But like all things in life, the cream will rise to the top.

Now get right like TI and ‘Go Get It!’

I’d say no. because if they do a reference check and the company said OPS not research, you risk them accusing you of lying on resume.

maybe after a year or two of learning as much as I can and kicking ass…maybe they will say i am not an ops person. But if I also do well in my interviews it would be possible to move to research roles? man there are lots of maybes and ifs. If not, I will stick to ops and watch yo back cfo i am coming for your position.

I guess no one can really predict this, but if you have real skills in research, I don’t see why that shouldn’t be useful to someone. In general though, it seems like the best next step is to convince your current company to give you an official new title that is not Ops, especially if you don’t even do ops work any more.

that is a good idea. I will wait a little on that as I have to show that that i can