How to stand out against experienced research/bankers?

So here’s the thing… I’ve been wanting to get into research for a long, long time. In the last 3ish years I’ve interviewed 33 times over 13 positions and 10 firms. Almost every time I get to second/third/fourth rounds - even a fifth one time, but every time (from the ones that I’ve followed up on) I’ve missed out on the opportunity to experienced research associates or former ibankers. My experience is as good as it gets as far as knowing the industry I want to cover (oil & gas), I’m obviously not a terrible fit since I’ve been called for multiple rounds in all but a few apps, I’ve got the CFA exams (charter pending 9 more months of work experience), and I’ve got multiple stellar references - what’s a guy go to do to beat the experienced associates???

Keep plugging away and hope you get lucky.

^ That. and unfortunately you are the prime example of why experience trumps everything. it’s a vicious “I need experience to get experience??” conundrum.

keep going at it, go to conferences, meet new people, build relationships knowing probably 95% will yield nothing, but you only need that 1 to yield something to win. keep trying

One of these days your number will get called. Keep up the hard work and keep meeting people. If you’re in Toronto the street is small and you’ll get the nod sooner or later.