Pg. DIP in quantitative finance

Hello,

I dicovered the Postgraduate Diploma in Quantitative Finance and wonder if someone heard of it. http://www.cefims.ac.uk/cgi-bin/programmes.cgi?func=programme&id=46

I currently work in IT in a private bank and would like to step into finance. My education is mathematics oriented as I am Ph.D in Physics. The quant job looks very interesting and I would like to have advices about what to do to have a chance to become Quant. Do you think this diploma is relevant, and enough to become Quant ?

If not, do you know what I should do to do so ?

Thank you by advance.

Alexandre.

Hi, buddy. We are quite US-focused over here, so unfortunately, I don’t know much about this program. You should contact this university’s career office and ask them for information regarding graduate placement.

In the US, we have Master’s in Financial Engineering programs, and many banks recruit quants from such programs. Some people in my office have both a PhD and MFE, in fact.

I am not familiar with the program, though it does seem to be a reputable university that is offering it.

However, it does say that it’s designed to prepare you for an MFE, which I think you might just prefer to apply to directly.

I’m not sure the certificate will do anything on its own, but if you have no idea how to do quant work in a financial context, the material itself might be useful.

I’d also look into contacting the university to ask about placement rates and services and recruiting. If it doesn’t have good placement services, I think you’d be better served by doing some reading on your own and/or applying directly to an MFE program(me).

Ok, if this is a course designed as MFE prep and you already have a physics PhD, it is probably not worth the time. In fact, most MFE courses give you a summer syllabus with math topics that prepare you for the actual MFE classes.