CFA + MBA-Finance/Shulich, Advice?

Guys,

Need a bit of advice. will appreciate the honest opinion.

I’m 30 years old

Passed CFA level I exam,

I have 8 years of experience in Accounting (Overseas),

Currently, I’m considering applying for MBA-Finance at Schulich Business School (York).

I’m curious if this Compo (CFA/MBA) would help me to break into the finance Sector??? I’m not targeting IB or a highly paid job, I just want to start working in the sector, get good experience then the universe will do the rest.

Any help will be appreciated ?

universe will do the rest.

you need to network first instead of dropping 80K on a MBA.

I know that networking is very important in the finance sector but, I’m new to the country and don’t know how to start networking. would you please give me some Tips. My own view is that a good business school with strong alumni and career placement center can help in networking.

Surprised only one out of the first 3 comments is focused on the “universe will do the rest” part. I learned the hard way that if you show any sort of indication whatsoever that you think you’re entitled to a successful career, a ton of AF’ers are going to jump all over you for it.

Anyhow, I don’t really have any info for you, as I’m pretty much in the same boat (taking Level III this june and doing an MBA next year)

It’s probably best to talk to the career service first, but generally a top MBA is a good idea for a career switcher. Never heard of the school, maybe it’s big in Canada? Your work experience might be a little too long for traditional MBA programs, have you thought about applying for an EMBA program instead?

@ Klaudnine: Schulich is among the top 4 B-School in Canada. as you already said for a career switcher MBA is more appropriate than EMBA. @ SpareTime: All the best for you in June.

You said you just want to work in this sector? that’s very broad.

Not to discourage you or something but fact is competition is intense like really intense. And without network it is impossible to get a job in capital market. You don’t like accounting? How about working for Big 4?

if you’re not picky about the job, why even do an MBA?

If you want a role in particular, do an MBA that places well in those places.

What is the point of throwing money at a school when all you want is something decent. that’ place is a bit of degree mill nowadays too. long way since they topped the rankings in canada.