Houston Job Market

just moved to Houston 2 months ago for family reason. With no network here, I really want to know how to land a job in the financial industry here. So far I’ve been trying thru Indeed, Monster and Career builder, but it doesnt seem to reach the target. The same resume I would post online before and get several calls per day, here I just get NOTHING. Weird uh?

I have an extensive experience as a senior derivatives analyst, working on hedging strategies and derivatives risk exposures in the capital market industry.

Any input here from people in Houston, or Texas or anywhere about what I can do to land that job? Thank you

Where were you getting “several calls a day” for online job applications, and what sort of jobs were these?

Houston is more diversified relative to some other O&G cities, but still O&G heavy. So with the low prices, I would assume many people are out of jobs there and not a lot of companies are hiring. Also, recruiters probably don’t need to actively go out and seek candidates since the pool of unemployment has grown in the last 1.5 - 2 years.

Not sure how you are selling your derivatives and hedging experience… but maybe if you tailor it towards commodities (specifically O&G), you may have a better shot at landing a job in your current field or maybe get into a trading desk at a major E&P company,

I live in Houston and just took level 2. Houston has a diverse job market, but for CFA’s it seems there a couple routes.

After attending some CFA Soceity functions I noticed most members were working in corporate finance roles for O&G companies, wealth management (advisory/high networth), or for a small hedge fund.

Invesco has a co-headquarters here and in Atlanta, but all new PM’s and traders are out of Atlanta. Only the senior PM’s stayed in Houston along with alot of back office functions.

Some companies to know about are Salient Partners, Bridgeway, Fayez Sarofim, and some of the banks. Jefferies has an office here that focus’ on energy research. Goldman Sachs does the same in research coverage with some M&A activity.

Across the board it is energy focus’ed for M&A or trading (whether it be O&G, Power, or Nat Gas) for the banks.

After attending the CFA Society I was actually interested in the high networth advisory track considering how easy it would be to work with a small shop and build a client base. There is a huge population growth in the city and it is changing. A lot of new money, and a lot of new accounts to pick up. I am working in a trading function now, but was surprised at the CFAs working on the advisory side in Houston…

Hi,

Quick question … Can anyone tell me where in Houston is the CFA level 2 exam usually held/ where it was held in the past?

Just go to Invesco and knock on their door. I know a few people that were hired there recently.

front office hires?

I see what you did there.

I don’t know what palantir thinks you did here, so I’ll answer as if this is a serious question.

Yes, one got a job as a PM and another in an external sales position.

With a lackluster and inconsistent pitching performance, this year’s playoff hopes seem to be dwindling for the Houston Astros…

#WhaHappen?

Thank you for the intel STL.

In prior years it’s been at the convention center downtown. This year it was at NRG park, and then they would up moving the FPSF music festival to NRG as well due to flooding where FPSF was supposed to be held. Sounds like a great combination, a full day test in the same complex as a music festival…

It takes a lot of self control to not drop my resume off to HR when I’m at firms pitching to them from a sales perspective and know they’d probably never look at my resume if it came in the normal way