Moral obligation toward employer

hi all,

With this post i seek your views on moral obligations towards employer in a specific situaton.

I share a really good rapport with people in senior management in my department and i have received good opportunities over my time here. I got a chance to travel, build a team and work on some big assignments.I even had no issues availing leaves for CFA and FRM exams. Over time i have slogged hard and tried to take on more and more responsibilities and contribute in any way possible and as a result i have become critical to the deparment ( atleast for the short term, considering i am involved in many important assignments).

Now, my dept is going through a difficult phase and there are some transitions and changes about to happen.

I am torn between seeking good opportunities outside at this time and obligation to stick with team till we weather the near term storm.

I was once advised by a friend to never be emotional about job and to always put own career above company interests. How right is this ? and specifically when your department has been good to you.

Regards,

P.S. Not using regular login considering th nature of this post.

You are being way too cautious about this. Your situation is totally legit for you to bail and find something better. You may feel guilty you were treated well (and that’s not always easy to find I’ll admit), but always remember that companies don’t give a crap about you if things get really tough. You will be cast aside in a snap, there is 0 loyalty to you. Don’t feel guilty about looking to bail.

You have no obligations to anyone.

ditto: Palantir.

The good manager’s that i’ve had have always told me that they would be dissapointed if i wasn’t always comparing other firms, offfers. I.e., the constant research and analytics you apply to investments should come through in your career and life or maybe your not that consistent and good of a pm/analyst.

I’m in almost the same exact situation, my team and colleagues feel like family, but i’ve reluctantly forced myself to remove that from the equation and think long-term career and pay instead.

You have no obligation beyond two weeks notice, and they have no obligation to you beyond whatever the legally required serverence period is. It’s best to learn this as early in your career as possible.

^ To piggy back on this statement, is it bad form to give 2 weeks notice then use it for vacation if you have any left over?

give 2 weeks and use any left over accrued vacation if you want to give them a punch to their jaw line. But if you want to leave in a neutral state - 2 weeks notice and forget about your vacation.

Obligations vary by society, there is not a univeral moral code.

In the US people say “you have no obligations to anyone” because that’s how their crappy everyone-for-themselves society works.

It differs a bit from place to place (poster’s location says India).

I think anyone who convinces themself they must stay for the good of their employer thinks too highly of themself. Unless you are the CEO or something, you’re not as important as you think you are to the company. If you leave and prioritize your career, they will just make do without you.

purealpha is back!

Geo: that’s the legal side of it, but individual firms can all be different. My previous employer, in California, was short staffed and desperate for licensed employees. i ended up sitting at my desk for 8 hours a day for about a quarter studying for my L2 because they simply wanted someone to authorized to sign paperwork - that was an awesome arrangement.sample size of 1 of course…

I just gave my two weeks today to my current firm, i expect nothing remotely like that this time and will be taking off early every day unless they ask me to leave early.

“licensed employees” - licensed for what?

i think it’s the 9/10, some branch manager license i think…i think i still have it, thought it was worthless then, and now.

i think it’s the 9/10, some branch manager license i think…i think i still have it, thought it was worthless then, and now.

there is a universal moral code you cant just do whatever you want whenever you want to whomever you want and not face the consequences

That’s what Americans always say, followed by “the univeral way, is the way we do it”. :wink:

Everyone is interchangeable but there is moral ways to walk trough the exist

Sure you can.

KonKan, why’re you silent after hearing these wide-ranging, and in my opinion helpful, replies to your question?

Do feel free to share your thoughts.