Market Risk roles

Hi All, Starting to see plenty of market risk analyst roles opening up. From experience I know these roles to be very quant based if you want to make it. I am up for the run but would like to list the quant/programm and general skills I need to make it. Any advice is welcome.

Cheers. A

Monte Carlo Simulation. We usually use @Risk in Excel. Obviously there are other packages you can use too.

It’s kind of like Econometrics. No one really cares if you used STATA, SAS, or EViews.

Thanks! What about programming languages?

It depends on the position, but my market risk guys are mostly not quantitative at all (with the exception of one guy with Phd). I would say the same of market risk people that I see getting hired at other companies. What matters more is knowledge of markets and ability to apply relevant risk metrics.

I imagine math skills won’t hurt, but I’m just saying these don’t seem to be the most important.

Yea it really depends on the position/ who is hiring. Ive seen many risk related roles only ask for a business degree, where as places like the big banks you definitely see guys with PHD’s and graduate degrees in math/ stats, FRM and such. For example i’ve seen quite a few postings for risk roles at the big Canadian banks asking for PHD’s for specific roles, as well as economists skilled in metrics to support the risk teams. My advice would be to check out the FRM forum here.

Thanks for the feedback so far! V helpful