Oil & Gas... A Bottle in the Ocean

Hello All,

I’m targeting the oil and gas industry. I’m in the Houston area, so definitely the place to be. I have an extensive experience working with derivatives instruments in hedging strategies, risk management and overall capital markets. However, even tho I understand the commodity world in theory, I lack the practical experience which makes it hard to land a job higher than an entry level job.

Anyone here with a good suggestion or strategy about how I can realize my objective of getting a job in the oil and gas industry?

Tough market to crack right now. Just very few jobs and tons of experienced people applying for even junior roles. Try to get into risk management at an E&P? Going to be very tough right now. The industry likes specific experience and without it, it’ll be hard to get in above the ground level. Would be much easier at $90 WTI. To be frank, your timing for this move is awful.

Yes, I was talking about this with a friend. Timing in the industry is not playing on my advantage. And now your comment just comfort it. But I still want to hope…or dream? Lol

SI’d go for the finance groups within the big 4. I remember there being derivative specific groups. Big 4 always seem to be hiring. If you have a little work experience, an existing employee could refer you to try to get a referral bonus. Referrals get priority, so I’d go that route, win/win.

I would love too. I have a good experience, so if anyone here wants to refer me, I am in.

I worked for one of the big 4 back then, but in Europe.

You have extensive experience in derivatives, but don’t have practical experience? So you don’t have experience?

@Ohai : so funny…it is a joke right? Coz I am sure that you understood it. But in case you did not, I have experience in derivatives in the pure capital markets world, not in the oil and gas industry

Actually no - your description was not clear at all. So I appreciate the clarification. I do recommend though, that you make your description more specific if you intend to use this sort of language in job applications.

I thought it was very clear, to be fair to OP. I read that exactly as she clarified. Anyway, this is going to be a real tough go in Houston right now. Good luck.

@Geo : Thank you. That is why outliers exist. Sometimes what seems obvious is not necessary the case for some people @Ohai : thanks for your recommendation, but I am fine with my description the way it is.

i dont have one iota of information about Miss Yiota so I cant help you with OG

I am working at a commodity hedge department with a reporting role. Frankly speaking, oil and gas industry offers very good pay and benefits. Therefore, people normally don’t change jobs/companies or industry very often. If you have experience working with derivatives instruments in hedging strategies, risk management and overall capital markets, you definitely can land a job in market risk, or credit analysis, or fundamental analysis jobs in this industry.

The thing is, nobody want to leave this industry so there are not many job openings. The turn over rate is low too. And it’s very common that people in oil and gas companies arrange their kids and relatives work in the same company. Due to these issues, the mid-level jobs are limited.

You have two options:

1. Get a entry level job and work your way up but it takes time;

2. Land in a manager role;

@Fwang: thank you for your input. Im looking for any opportunities in that industry, even entry level. But it is tough. Seems like all jobs requires already significant experience in oil and gas. Regarding a manager role, I don’t even dream. My ideal would be to land a mid senior role.